Other ranks in white metal. The Star of the Order of the Thistle. Around the centre, within a thistle wreath, an oval inscribed Nemo Me Impune Lacesset* with St. Andrew in the centre. Above the oval an Imperial crown and a scroll inscribed The Royal Highlanders. Beneath the oval a Sphinx on a tablet and a scroll inscribed Black Watch. To the reverse two copper loops east-west.
* Also found with the variant spelling Lacessit.
2. Below; version with a die-flaw beneath the Sphinx, generally accepted as original. To the reverse of this example flat plate lugs struck out of brass.
3. Below; another die flaw example with more usual copper loops.
4. Below, no die flaw, brass plate lugs. This badge came with a large quantity of documents, medals and a leather rimmed glengarry bonnet that belonged to a soldier of the regiment that was shot through both legs at the Battle of Loos. The badge itself is strong and light.
5. Below; reproduction or copy with motto misspelling ‘Memo’ instead of ‘Nemo’.