British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-08, 05:40 PM
Badge Guru

Default Strange Tank Qualification badge

I`l just start by saying this is a heavily reproduced badge. All repros have so been observed with lugs/loops and some have frabricated brass backings plates. Brass and white metal versions have been observed.

This badge was bought from a dealer back in 1986/87, I cannot recall there being the massive quantity of the above repros back then but that doesnt mean the badge is genuine.

The last known sighting of exactly the same badge was on First Lights list retailing at 25 pounds with a description which suggested that the dealer did not know anything about it. The word 'reproduction' ot 'fake did not feature in the description.

The badge itself is white metal. It does not bend and the blades are equally as sturdy.

I`m punting this one out to the forum to see if anyone knows anything about it...........

Old 16-04-08, 03:46 PM

I would also welcome any comments on this badge.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 18-04-08, 08:57 AM
Badge Guru

Fascinating, both have the blade fixings in exactly the same place!

The use of blades on this badge has me some what confused as lugs are normaly used on arm badges? If you were inside a tank I`m thinking that your less likely to punch a hole in your arm with a bladed badge.
Old 18-04-08, 04:30 PM

I would have thought that it would be the other way round as the blades would be folded over, but the lugs would still be protruding.

Never looked into this badge but could it be an officers CAP badge before the TC badge came into existance?
Old 19-04-08, 02:41 PM
Badge Guru

For some reason the style of the tank looks American. On the most part the badge worn during WW1, WW2 and beyond was produced in cloth.........a sensible precuation when inside the confines of a tank.

It cannot be a pre Tank Corps badge as that unit was Heavy Branch which wore Machine Gun Corps badges.

My best guess its this Royal Tank Regiment for officers dress uniform.

If we really wanted we could always drop Bosleys an email and ask if its "worth owt?"

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 19-04-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26-04-08, 12:45 PM

Ive just looked through the"history of the Tank Regiment" by George Forty and cannot find a clear illustration of the badge,as to whether its metal or cloth, although there is a photo of the original sketch by Swinton.
"Designed by Major General Swinton,this arm badge was originally intended as a unifying symbolfor all ranks of the Tank corps,because they wore their old regimental badges and insignia.It is still worn by all ranks on the right arm,four fingers width below the shoulder."