British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-10, 12:28 AM

Default Request For Help In Peer Reviewing

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who is a member of the forum who is experienced in the following:

Data Modelling
Entity Relationship diagrams
Basic relational database design

I need someone who can read entity relationship diagrams, knows what a cap badge looks like (not necessarily an A/A one) and is familiar with relational databases.

The task involves peer reviewing two chapters:-

1) The first chapter describes your basic anodised aluminium cap badge by identifying a badge's entities and then by joining the entities together with relationships. Also the chapter identifies the entities and relations used to describe a collection followed by the placing of badges into the collection. All this represented by E-R diagrams.

2) The second chapter involves the creation of a simple relational database on a PC. This uses one part of the entity relationship diagram previously created using Oracle XE and Oracle SQL Developer. This will involve the use of basic table structures, primary key, referential integrity and basic Structured Query Language (SQL) coding.

I have done all the work and just need someone to check that it is both reasonable and accurate hopefully at a level where a collector can gain a greater insight into the identification and recording of anodised aluminium cap badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-02-10, 02:17 AM

Seems like you are looking for a co-pilot on the space shuttle... good luck... Jim
Old 22-02-10, 05:37 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone who is a member of the forum who is experienced in the following:

Data Modelling
Entity Relationship diagrams
Basic relational database design

I need someone who can read entity relationship diagrams, knows what a cap badge looks like (not necessarily an A/A one) and is familiar with relational databases.

The task involves peer reviewing two chapters:-

1) The first chapter describes your basic anodised aluminium cap badge by identifying a badge's entities and then by joining the entities together with relationships. Also the chapter identifies the entities and relations used to describe a collection followed by the placing of badges into the collection. All this represented by E-R diagrams.

2) The second chapter involves the creation of a simple relational database on a PC. This uses one part of the entity relationship diagram previously created using Oracle XE and Oracle SQL Developer. This will involve the use of basic table structures, primary key, referential integrity and basic Structured Query Language (SQL) coding.

I have done all the work and just need someone to check that it is both reasonable and accurate hopefully at a level where a collector can gain a greater insight into the identification and recording of anodised aluminium cap badges.

Regards

Chris

Chris,
Unfortunately, yes I do. ERD's and normalisation etc etc is a part of my work. The only problem I would have is that

a) it would have to be done in my spare time - in the evenings and as I start a new job next week - it would have to be on an 'as possible' basis.
b) as most people (and I don't have an Oracle licence for my personal PC) do have Office etc, why not use Access for this. I used it when I did a major piece of coursework at Uni on my badges, regiments, types etc etc in much the same way, and it worked a treat - or is this not feasable and its to far down the road....?
pm me at my Lux email address (I leave Airbus for good this afternoon) with any queries and we will see if we can work something out.

david
Old 22-02-10, 05:45 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

(I leave Airbus for good this afternoon)

Good luck David............................................. ......................

Dave.
Old 22-02-10, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
Seems like you are looking for a co-pilot on the space shuttle... good luck... Jim
Hi Jim,

I think a few of them might be leaving the program soon - maybe I'll get in contact with NASA or whoever runs the program!!!

Regards

Chris
Old 22-02-10, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Chris,
Unfortunately, yes I do. ERD's and normalisation etc etc is a part of my work. The only problem I would have is that

a) it would have to be done in my spare time - in the evenings and as I start a new job next week - it would have to be on an 'as possible' basis.
b) as most people (and I don't have an Oracle licence for my personal PC) do have Office etc, why not use Access for this. I used it when I did a major piece of coursework at Uni on my badges, regiments, types etc etc in much the same way, and it worked a treat - or is this not feasable and its to far down the road....?
pm me at my Lux email address (I leave Airbus for good this afternoon) with any queries and we will see if we can work something out.

david
Hi David,

Will send you an email.

The Oracle bits are all downloaded from their main web site for free. No special user license is required for either products so are available for all collectors and Joe Public as a whole.

Regards

Chris
Old 22-02-10, 07:31 PM

David,

Good luck from me as well.

I have felt rather ignorant in the past when I could not understand some of the messages posted on the Forum in French but at least thought I could normally understand the english posts.

I have to say the references to data modelling,entity relation diagrams etc go right over my head but like others,I am looking forward to the book on anodised badges.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-02-10, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
David,

Good luck from me as well.

I have felt rather ignorant in the past when I could not understand some of the messages posted on the Forum in French but at least thought I could normally understand the english posts.

I have to say the references to data modelling,entity relation diagrams etc go right over my head but like others,I am looking forward to the book on anodised badges.

Peter
Hi Peter,

This can be pretty nerdy but even if parts of it are over the average collectors head there will be some aspects that will be understandable such as all the entities (or parts) that make up a badge and how these parts join together. Often these entities are obvious such as colour, slider, body etc but the trick is to join them together to produce valid descriptions of each aspect of a badges design and structure.

When this is done each area of the badge can be recorded and catalogued in a collection to a high level of detail.

Most collectors I fear are 'tick the box' types and there is nothing wrong with that but with a few E-R diagrams to describe certain areas of a badge a whole new way of observing them will hopefully become apparent hence raising interest in even the most bog standard item.

Er, well that's the theory at least...

Regards

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 23-02-10 at 01:28 AM.
Old 25-02-10, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Chris,

david
Hi David,

Did you get the email I sent you via the forum emailing system?

Regards

Chris
Old 25-02-10, 08:38 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi David,

Did you get the email I sent you via the forum emailing system?

Regards

Chris
No. But that may have been due to me only changing my Forum email contact details about 60 seconds before I 'walked out of the door' - I also had to wait until I got back to Lux to verify it - yesterday morning. So, it may have gone to my Airbus address.
If you have another go today, and I don't see anything by 16:00 (UK time), I'll email you privately.
david