British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-10, 08:21 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Dragoon Guards

Hi Folks,

Can someone educate me please ?

I have an OSD cap and matching collars to The 1st Royal Dragoons, these are my only Cavalry badges and the cap badge is of a huge personal importance to me, being a gift from ' joachim ' some time ago.

My questions and I only have John Gaylor's ' Military Badge Collecting ' to help me, re Cavalry, are these...............wait for it ! I'm sure I'm going to make myself look silly.......

What is the difference between 1st ( Royal ) Dragoons....the middle badge in row D, plate 1, Cavalry 1914 on page 163 and The 1st ( Royal ) Dragoons ( 1915 - 1919 ), badge 3, row C on plate 3 ( Miscellaneous Cavalry ), page 167 ? my problem, they are both described as " 1st ( Royal ) Dragoons ".

My pair of collars are the 1st Royal Dragoons ( 1948 - 1969 ) so my second question is what would the shoulder titles look like and lastly would they be bronze or blackened brass ?????

If the answer turns out to be glaringly obvious, please don't laugh, after all, it is still the season of good will !!!

Dave.
Old 03-01-10, 09:45 PM

Nothing more than a change in pattern Dave, common to a few cavalry regiments during WW1.

1RD in brass would be the correct shoulder title and worn with the crown/scroll cap badge and also the small brass eagle (if you can find one) up until 1919. Bronze ROYALS is the title worn with the bimetal eagle.
Old 04-01-10, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your time Keith,

Andy said as much on the phone, I guess I'm looking for a pair of gilt/bronze ' ROYALS ' titles now ??

All the best.

Dave.
Old 04-01-10, 07:51 PM

Hi folks,

Can I just mention that only a couple of hours after my last post, re these titles, a member and I hope I don't embarrass him too much, 1st Tankie, contacted me with the offer of a pair of titles to go with my cap and collars and with no charge.

Doesn't it make your heart light, particularly in respect to another member who has been nothing short of awkward, I'm sorry mate, your actions can't go unmentioned, you are among a small group of people who only want to help others and you offer is really appreciated, thanks.

Dave.
Old 08-01-10, 11:25 AM

Hi folks,

Following my posts re the 1st ( Royal ) Dragoon Guards and the subsequent offer from 1stTankie re the shoulder titles ( to which I have expressed my gratitude ), this is what dropped through my letter box this morning............when I say words fail me, one or two of my friends will say.....................never !!! but they do, how can one thank a person for such an act of generosity ?? It's very similar to when I bought three buttons from 4966Ian and about fifteen came, including a QVC Worcesters, nice people !

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1g 032.jpg (78.1 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by davec2; 08-01-10 at 02:24 PM.