British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-12-09, 03:55 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default New S A S badges

Bill you are more in the know than I am especially about this new stuff, What is this Canadian SAS stuff that I see going around, I never see it spelled out which leed me to believe that we are (were) trying to build a unit on the reputation of the Special Air Service. I've never seen this stuff until lately but I'm sure you know about them. I don't touch anything after 1945 I have no interest in it, besides it's a whole new field & a big one.
Old 30-12-09, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Ray, The bottom line on the Canadian SAS badges, titles and patches, is that there was never an official issue of such insignia. The material that is showing up on the market is material that is "fantasy", or made up. Yes, there was a Canadian SAS unit for a short time, as some of the listings indicate, but they did not have unique issue insignia. I believe several other Forum members have more details about the where and when of the fantasy insignia, but for a collector of authentic insignia, I would recommend avoiding these.
Old 30-12-09, 08:33 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks Bill, I knew I could depend on you for an answer. Do you know what the short-lived unit was, Name, Infantry or what & it's purpose.
Old 30-12-09, 09:55 PM

Here is the link that I put on a previous thread wrt The Canadian SAS Company.

http://www.wlu.ca/lcmsds/cmh/back%20...01948-1949.pdf

Phil
Old 04-01-10, 07:29 PM

Here are some Canadian SAS items;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canadian-SAS-T...item414bed0db2
Old 04-07-10, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Bill you are more in the know than I am especially about this new stuff, What is this Canadian SAS stuff that I see going around, I never see it spelled out which leed me to believe that we are (were) trying to build a unit on the reputation of the Special Air Service. I've never seen this stuff until lately but I'm sure you know about them. I don't touch anything after 1945 I have no interest in it, besides it's a whole new field & a big one.
Many years ago, I interviewed the only Commanding Officer of the Canadian SAS Company, Major Guy d'Artois at his home in Quebec. He stated clearly that they NEVER had any special insignia. The men wore the parent regiment badges (R22R, RCR and PPCLI).

There is a full set of COMMEMORATIVE Canadian SAS insignia out there including wings, shoulder titles, blazer crest etc. These were NEVER issued and were made many years after the unit was disbanded.

If anyone has a set for sale at a reasonable price I would like to buy a set as reference so that I can post it on my web site and educate people and save other collectors from making expensive mistakes. seaforth72@gmail.com