British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-09, 08:02 PM

Default unknown badges

I have two of these both are hallmarked they are 38mm long one is fitted with a brooch fitting, the other for wearing on the pagri maybe, i think they are too big for collars any help would be appreciated
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13th hussars 010.jpg (51.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 18-11-09, 09:12 AM

Hi Allan,

Are they cast as one piece ? What date is the hallmark ? and finally can you post a pic of the rear.

3748 Hussar
Old 18-11-09, 05:52 PM

Hi 3748,
One has a solid back and one is cast the hallmarks are 1891 and 1927 i will post rear pictures later
regards
Alan
Old 18-11-09, 06:35 PM

Pictures of the backs ,the solid backed badge is the 1891 badge
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear feathers 002.jpg (37.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 18-11-09, 10:40 PM

Default !!!

Beautiful.....
Old 18-11-09, 11:39 PM

Terrible badges, an abomination and they need to be destroyed! I would not wish to see a grown man cry parting with his prized badges so post them to me and i will suitably dispose of them!!!!! Alternatively, you could keep hold of them as i think they are fabulous. With being pin backed obviously they were affixed to a cloth or cloth covered backing. Guessing but could it be a pith helmet/puggaree or possible a sash?
Cheers, Dave
Old 19-11-09, 12:00 AM

Just had a quick look in Peter Seamans book on sleeve badges and i think i may have a couple of possibilities. 3rd Dragoon Guards sleeve badge worn by junior and senior ranks. There is an intersting note regarding why the soldiers removed the official lugs and had them broached. The badges were supplied at public expense and `should last 12 years`. If lost, the badge was lost, the soldier would have to replace it at his own expense. White metal versions were also struck for everyday wear.
Another possibility is the 10th Hussars lance corporals and corporals though Peter Seaman describes their badges as being `die stamped white metal with a back plate fitted upon this are three copper loop fasteners`. The badge is differant from the sergeants sleeve badge as the sergeants is larger by 50%. Could these be private purchase badges in silver or even kept for best as the 3DG? Peter states that this badge was worn prior to wwi as well as providing an illustration of it still being worn in 1963!
Cheers, Dave
Old 19-11-09, 10:10 AM

Default Nco Armbadges

Hi Alan,

I agree with Dave’s post. They are 3rd (Prince of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards hallmarked silver NCO’s arm badges.
You have a very fine and scarce hollow example (Prince of Wales’ plumes) by B & P (Bent & Parker) Birmingham hallmarks 1891. The pin fastening to reverse is typical to NCO Arm badges of this period.

I also have a 1897 B&P example like yours with Brooch fixings , a QVC 8th hussars HM silver, and a 3rd Hussars prancing horse Not HM Silver. Also with this type of fixing

A good find

3748 Hussar
Old 19-11-09, 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the information chaps what is confusing me is that in L and Dines book that size badge is shown as a trumpeters badge, the officers is the larger badge does peter seamans book contradict this ?
Alan