British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-09, 07:45 PM

Default 5th Lancers tent cap badge on ebay

Quick heads up on what looks to be a genuine very hard to find officers tent cap badge to the 5th Lancers. Gone beyond my pocket to sell on as i already have one but still under valued last time i looked. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5th-Royal-Iris...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 16-10-09, 10:34 PM

28 minutes to go and reached £200 surprisingly!!!
Old 17-10-09, 04:13 PM

Sold for £255 ! Anyone want to buy a rare 5th lancers officers bronze?
Old 22-10-09, 05:48 PM

Possibly Indian cavalry? just a thought.
Old 22-10-09, 09:57 PM

Definately 5th Lancers field cap badge. Have a look `Dress Regulations for the Army 1900`. Illustration of standard 5th lancers badge but with note below stating badges without circlet worn on field cap. Would i be correct in saying the field cap and tent cap are one in the same? I had always thought that this badge was a tent cap badge but i am having doubts now.
Cheers, Dave
Old 23-10-09, 12:54 AM

Dave

I too believe that this is an officer's FSC cap badge to the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers. There is also an embroidered version. As you point out the 1900 dress regulations describe it. Although in the 1900 edition it is specifically called out as being embroidered. By the 1904 dress regulations this distinction (FSC badge without circlet) has disappeared.

The infantry FSC badges have been reasonably well described in literature but I have seen little on cavalry. The 1891 regulations describe the FSC for Lancer regiments with regimental badge on left side but alas no description of the regimental badges are provided.

I also believe that FSC and tent badge are generally used interchangeably for most circumstances with the one exception of the 8th Hussars (through successive amalgamations to the current Q.R.H.) service cap where their distinctively larger design is always referred to as a tent cap possibly in an effort to differentiate it.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 23-10-09 at 10:21 AM. Reason: added content re 1891 regulations.
Old 23-10-09, 09:00 AM

Default 5 Lancers ???

Hi All

After reading all the posts on the 5th Lancers FS Cap badge .I thought I would add a few words.

Firstly: I have had ,and still proberbly have a photo of a Bullion 5th Lancers cap badge , this example is with crossed lances & circlet.

Secondly: Could this not be an 5DG Crossed lances proficiency badge !!, See Bosleys Buywise Code: 1014832 . This is also an embroidered version as mention in John's Post.

There Again I could be totally wrong all together.

3748 Hussar
Old 23-10-09, 10:28 AM

Further to my earlier post.

It is no suprise that the mention of an FSC badge to the regiment is absent from the 1904 Dress Regs as the FSC was obsoleted in 1902 by the forage cap.

With regard to the embroidered 5th Lancers FSC badge, Bosleys sold (and illustrated) one in their public auction of March 6th 2002. Lot 16, it is a bullion 5 on crossed lances. The pennons of which are red and white silk, the background is dark blue cloth. There is no circlet. For copyright reasons I will not scan and post the image. It looks like it made GBP 150. This example is consistent with the 190 Dress Regulation description.

The FSC would have been in use from c, 1890 - 1902. I have had a quick look for but found no photographic images that might show the badge in use by the regiment.

John
Old 24-10-09, 02:25 PM

Default 5L

Further to my previous posts find attached lancer badges. No longer in my collection.

37 48 Hussar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 lancers bullion cap - Copy.jpg (41.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg lancer s - Copy.JPG (73.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-10-09, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Further to my earlier post.

It is no suprise that the mention of an FSC badge to the regiment is absent from the 1904 Dress Regs as the FSC was obsoleted in 1902 by the forage cap.

With regard to the embroidered 5th Lancers FSC badge, Bosleys sold (and illustrated) one in their public auction of March 6th 2002. Lot 16, it is a bullion 5 on crossed lances. The pennons of which are red and white silk, the background is dark blue cloth. There is no circlet. For copyright reasons I will not scan and post the image. It looks like it made GBP 150. This example is consistent with the 190 Dress Regulation description.

The FSC would have been in use from c, 1890 - 1902. I have had a quick look for but found no photographic images that might show the badge in use by the regiment.

John
Yes mate you are correct. The FSC was not to be worn within the UK; however, Regiments continued to wear it on deployment abroad, especially in India. Old habits died hard.....
Old 28-10-09, 08:55 PM

Default 5th Lancers Tent Cap Badge

Hi
The photo of the badge sold on e-bay doesn't give any idea of how small it is in comparison to the standard cap badge.

I attach a photo of an example from my collection along side a 5th Lancers Officer's silver and gilt cap badge from around the same period.

It's one of my favourite badge's however I have never seen a photo of an Officer wearing one. The reference in Dress Regulations 1900 (already mentioned in this thread) is the only one I know of.

Regards
Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 29-10-09, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybershot View Post
Hi
The photo of the badge sold on e-bay doesn't give any idea of how small it is in comparison to the standard cap badge...

Regards
Bob.
Bob

Many thanks for this post - I was not aware it was smaller than the Forage Cap badge.

John
Old 30-10-09, 08:07 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Dave

I too believe that this is an officer's FSC cap badge to the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers. There is also an embroidered version. As you point out the 1900 dress regulations describe it. Although in the 1900 edition it is specifically called out as being embroidered. By the 1904 dress regulations this distinction (FSC badge without circlet) has disappeared.

The infantry FSC badges have been reasonably well described in literature but I have seen little on cavalry. The 1891 regulations describe the FSC for Lancer regiments with regimental badge on left side but alas no description of the regimental badges are provided.

I also believe that FSC and tent badge are generally used interchangeably for most circumstances with the one exception of the 8th Hussars (through successive amalgamations to the current Q.R.H.) service cap where their distinctively larger design is always referred to as a tent cap possibly in an effort to differentiate it.

John
John,
This is a bullion version on red - its 52mm wide.
david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5thCrossedLancers.jpg (83.1 KB, 12 views)