British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-10-09, 08:49 PM
L&BH

Default 13th/18th Royal Hussars cap badge

Dear Gents,
I have recently bought a WW2 13th/18th Royal Hussars' badge sold as a cap badge. I was quite surprised when I received it to see that in fact the size is quite small compared to any other WW2 cap badge (on the picture I've put my 23rd Hussars cap abdge). The back of the badge is flat, the general condition of the badge is VG even if it has been used and polished.

What're your thought about it please?
Thanx a lot.
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H 010.jpg (62.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg H 003.jpg (73.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg H 004.jpg (66.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg H 005.jpg (60.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg H 007.jpg (64.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by L&BH; 06-10-09 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 10:40 PM

Hi Phil,
Others more knowledgeable should comment on your badge.
Here are mine for comparison, both are lugged which may mean that one, or both, are collars.
Regards, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13 18 pair.jpg (69.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-10-09, 11:34 PM

Hi Phil,
I have a modern anodised one on a slider, and a pair of WW2 dated brass ones with lugs, which I suspect are probably collar badges. I have also seen soldiers wwaring them and can confirm it is a very small badge.

John
Old 06-10-09, 01:35 AM

I have a q/c metal capbadge to the 13th/18th Hussars. It was given to me by a friend's father. He was a member of the regiment as a National Serviceman and served in Malaya. The capbadge has a slider with no makers' mark and is the same size as the collar badges which have N/S lugs.

Phil
Old 06-10-09, 04:44 AM
L&BH

Thanks a lot Gentlemen for all comments. I feel better now
Old 06-10-09, 06:08 AM

The badge is a 100% genuine cap badge. The cap badge of the 13th/18th Hussars is a very small badge identical in size to the regiment's collar badges.

How can I be so sure that it is 100% genuine ? because you bought it from me and I know exactly where it came from. The badge is and was guaranteed to be 100% genuine - it seems my money back guarentee wasn't good enough ?

OC14
Old 06-10-09, 06:28 AM

Here's a question for the experts - I would have guessed and said it was a fake given its cast back, which at least for most (but not all) Australian badges is an indicator that it has been reproduced.

Were many English badges of this period also cast?

Mick
Old 06-10-09, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mick,

No they were not but (as ever) the 13/18th is the exception to the rule. presumably they were cast to make them stronger than a small die-struck badge.

Alan
Old 06-10-09, 07:07 AM

Thanks Alan!
Old 06-10-09, 08:24 AM
L&BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
The badge is a 100% genuine cap badge. The cap badge of the 13th/18th Hussars is a very small badge identical in size to the regiment's collar badges.

How can I be so sure that it is 100% genuine ? because you bought it from me and I know exactly where it came from. The badge is and was guaranteed to be 100% genuine - it seems my money back guarentee wasn't good enough ?

OC14
Hi OC,
I'm sorry you take it the wrong way and personal. I'm not saying anything wrong here and have not pointed an accusing finger at anybody. I've just posted a thread about the size of the cap badge as it is the very first of the 13th/18th Hussars I buy and my only references for a comparison were the other regiments I have so far in my collection. I've always thought a forum was the best place to exchange knowledge and to learn. Given I didn't know, I couldn't guess, but in the end, it would have not prevented me from buying it from you.
I'm sincerely and deeply sorry you take it that way. You may have noticed I've left you a very positive feedback, which is the guarantee that I'm happy with the badge, the service and that I'll surely buy from you in the future. If I had not been, I would have contacted you and asked for a refund, which I haven't not done.
All the best.
Phil

Last edited by L&BH; 06-10-09 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

This is the common copy - I have highlighted the circular hole in the Q that is characteristic of the fake die. I think it is also found on the a/a badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1318hussars.jpg (34.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-10-09, 06:26 PM
Former Member

Phil,
IMO you have every right to ask opinions on this site, and personally I think someone owes you an apology (heat of the moment gets to us all now and then and I've yet to have one of my ebay listings put under the spotlight here! But if listed as Genuine it would be because I was happy it was so!)

The KC 13/18H badges are so small it is very difficult to tell if they are genuine or not! Particularly if you have not seen many, I am away at work at present but will post a photo (end of the week) of a 100% Genuine makers marked example and also another similar to yours which I feel is also OK!

Andy
Old 06-10-09, 06:42 PM
L&BH

Hi Andy,
thank you very very much.
As I said in my original post, I just wondered about the size of the badge as it is the very first one of this regiment. I sincerely believe it is original, to me there is absoluetly no doubt. I had waited for ages before buying one to the 13th/18th Royal Hussars as I wanted to be sure about it. I'm now relieved to know they were rather small badges. I just need a pair of collar badges to the same regiment
Thanks again. Cheers,
Phil
Old 06-10-09, 06:46 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default size etc

Hello OC14,

Don't get too upset my friend, I read the remarks as a general enquiry in to the size of the badge, not the validity............

Wait until you list a copy as a gap filler, plainly stated and then some clever clogs puts it on the forum as a doubtful badge asking for members opinions, that's when you start to get hot under the collar !!

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 06-10-09 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 07:00 PM

Hi Phil, Here's pics of mine for you until Andy get's back to show his. Mine is by Firmin, hope it helps for now, and ask whatever questions you like mate, you own the badge now !! All the best, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img236.jpg (92.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg img237.jpg (83.5 KB, 61 views)