British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-09-09, 03:22 PM

Default Identify Rhino Cloth Badge

Hi
I recently came across this cloth badge when sorting out my Father-in-Laws belongings. I wonder if any one could identify what it is ? It measures 55mm x 35mm.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhino Badge 002.jpg (73.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg rhino Badge 001.jpg (80.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-09-09, 03:31 PM

Hi Robbo, it's the British 1st Armoured Division;
The 1st Armoured Division was a regular division in the British Army at the outbreak of World War II. It had formerly been designated The Mobile Division. It first saw service in incomplete form under the second British Expeditionary Force sent to France in 1940. It landed in France on 14 April 1940 and was evacuated on 16 June, having served south of the River Somme, isolated from the other British formations.
For the rest of 1940 and up until 27 August 1941, the division was stationed in the United Kingdom on anti-invasion duties. It then embarked for Egypt under the command of Major General Herbert Lumsden. Arriving in Egypt on 13 November 1941, it took part in many of the major battles of the later part of the campaign against Rommel including Gazala, Mersa Matruh, 1st El Alamein, 2nd El Alamein, Tebaga Gap, Akarit, El Kourzia and Tunis.
From the end of the Tunisian campaign the division remained in North Africa until May 1944. It then transferred to Italy, fighting one last battle at Coriano in the fighting on the Gothic Line before ceasing to be an operational unit on 28 October. The division was disbanded on 1 January 1945.

This is the 1st pattern of the rhino, the second pattern,from 1942 on, had a "charging" rhino.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 10-09-09, 03:41 PM

Hi Jo
Thanks for that. It would make sense as there were a lot of old tunisian coins with the badge. Also some German coins.
Thanks again for your help.
Steve
Old 10-09-09, 03:59 PM

Robbo i have put up my 1st A.Div which as you can see is like yours the early (pre 1942) version.Jo have you ever seen an early version of this which looks like the one in Cole's Formation Badge's of World War Two,which look's more like a pig?.Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st armoured div 1.jpg (47.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1st armoured div 2.jpg (49.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-09-09, 04:26 PM

Phil, can't say that I have ever seen the "pig look alike". I have posted a photograph of two carriers of the Saskatoon Light Infantry. You will notice that they have a rhino painted (next to the driver's head), this because they spent some time with the 1st Armoured Div. while in training in the UK in the early part of the war.
Jo
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...hki39aplh10kh3

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 10-09-09, 04:29 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

The charging Rhino. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 armd div.jpg (2.3 KB, 118 views)
Old 10-09-09, 04:45 PM

By Jingo Ray that's the stuff.You can see why the Brass went for that one,the earlier version look's like an uncomfortable piano stool.Thanks for the image Jo. Phil.
Old 10-09-09, 05:51 PM

Just happy to be of service Phil.
Cheers
Jo

Old 10-09-09, 06:52 PM

Default 1st. armoured "pig"

The two First Armoured Badges were given to me by the late Col. Weld, Queens Bays. The first Rhino badge was very much like a pig and remarks were made to this affect. When the sign writer in the desert produced a much more agressive rhino, according to Col. Weld the regiment went for it and had them locally made. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cloth badge collection 020.jpg (68.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-09-09, 07:19 PM

It's interesting reading the comments and from what I understand the 1st pattern wasn't particularly well received.That said, are they still collectible or sought by collectors ? Or, is the 2nd pattern more desirable?
Old 10-09-09, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Hi John, Noticed that you have some Canadian cloth on the bottom of the display. Could you post a close up image of the 1 CACR flash? What is the backing material on this flash?
Old 10-09-09, 10:41 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

NICE LITTLE COLLECTION THERE bLACKPOWDER, WHAT IS THE FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE PERHAPS 3RD ARMOURED gP. , ANY CHANCE OF A BETTER PICTURE, I DON'T THINK I'VE SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE.
Old 11-09-09, 06:47 PM

Hello Robbo , regarding patterns of badges be it 1st 2nd or even 3rd in some cases , its very much down to individual choice as to what collectors favour ,
as a very ` general ` rule the 2nd patterns are more popular with some collectors as this type was worn in the later war years say ,post 1943 , during the Italy , Normany , kohima period that some collectors find more exciting .

for example the 49th WESTRIDING div . the first pattern had the design with the head facing down during the training and garrison duties in Iceland later the badge was changed to a more agressive ` head up` image this was the pattern worn in Normany and through to the wars end .

The black cat of the 56th London div was changed to a more slimmer war like cat in 1943 .This is covered in more detail in another post .
My own choice is infact the first patterns or insignia worn during the less sexy campaigns , there are some good photos of cloth insignia been worn during the Dunkirk retreat the fall of Greece and Crete etc but these are a weird and woundrous mixture of coloured cloth strips bars and crosses that hark back to the 1st war period of cloth battle insignia which is another story ,regards ,Michael.
Old 11-09-09, 07:21 PM

Default Rhino badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
It's interesting reading the comments and from what I understand the 1st pattern wasn't particularly well received.That said, are they still collectible or sought by collectors ? Or, is the 2nd pattern more desirable?
I would allways go for a first pattern badge, especially this one as the "pig" one was rejected fairly soon into the North Africa campeign. John.
Old 11-09-09, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
NICE LITTLE COLLECTION THERE bLACKPOWDER, WHAT IS THE FIRST ONE LOOKS LIKE PERHAPS 3RD ARMOURED gP. , ANY CHANCE OF A BETTER PICTURE, I DON'T THINK I'VE SEEN THAT ONE BEFORE.
Thanks B and S. All the badges are in my display trailor at this time. Will try to take a picture through the glass of the frame. John.