British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-09, 01:20 PM

Default Bays cap badge, no Crown

Found on a derelict post WWII khaki beret, a Bays badge deprived of Crown, on a black cloth backing. I've seen Bays badges with the KC and the QC, but I was wondering about the meaning of the Crown's lack. The black cloth backing on the khaki beret I guess is possibly there to remind of the Cavalry/RAC service of the Regiment during the war... or am I wrong? Thank you in advance for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bays_1.jpg (63.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 27-07-09, 05:33 PM

Possibly a very old Royal Anglian beret (black patch with a rounded top) with a broken badge added by the seller. There are a huge amount of berets on the market that have any badge put on to sell them, also peaked caps.
Old 27-07-09, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Definately a 'put-together' I am afraid. RANGLIAN does look favourite for that beret.

Alan
Old 28-07-09, 08:25 AM

Default Ebay Horror!

Yes indeed..... I saw this a few weeks on Ebay and thought the same. The Bays wore 'chip hats' during WWII and 'normal' blue/black berets post WWII with a red backing behind the badge. The crown is missing because it has broken off.... This I am afraid to say is worthless and should be binned before it confuses any other poor unsuspecting souls....
Old 28-07-09, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiffbloke View Post
Yes indeed..... I saw this a few weeks on Ebay and thought the same. The Bays wore 'chip hats' during WWII and 'normal' blue/black berets post WWII with a red backing behind the badge. The crown is missing because it has broken off.... This I am afraid to say is worthless and should be binned before it confuses any other poor unsuspecting souls....
Well, I've paid it pennies, therefore not much of a loss... looking closer to the badge, it does NOT seem like the crown has been torn away, though... the badge looks like it were cast withouth the crown form the very beginning... as for the beret, is definitively postwar and in very, very bad shape....
Old 29-07-09, 08:45 AM

Default PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Well, I've paid it pennies, therefore not much of a loss... looking closer to the badge, it does NOT seem like the crown has been torn away, though... the badge looks like it were cast withouth the crown form the very beginning... as for the beret, is definitively postwar and in very, very bad shape....
Hi Mate... PLEASE trust me on this..... the Bays NEVER wore a badge without its crown. I cannot possibly comment on this badge in isolation and it could very well be that it was cast without a crown by some faker somehwere or other who used a 'crownless' badge as the die. Be that as it may. The badge should be destroyed as it is all too easy for this to be given further credence sometime in the future by less 'honest' individuals.
Old 29-07-09, 02:44 PM

As from pre WW1 they were the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays) there is absolutely no chance that they would ever have worn a badge without a crown. Very commonly the slider was fitted to the crown it's possible that this has broken off and someone has fitted lugs.