British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-09, 01:57 PM

Default Cavalry Battalion/Brigade shoulder flashes?

Two shoulder insignia I think could somehow connected with cavalry regiments (but as a matter of fact, could be artillery or even infantry...): two split diamonds one white/black (or the other way round...), the other yellow/blue... any hints regarding the related formations? Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Insignia_Patch_1_a.jpg (24.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Insignia_Patch_1_b.jpg (34.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Insignia_Patch_2_a.jpg (32.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Insignia_Patch_2_b.jpg (47.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 21-07-09, 05:57 PM

The black and white is related to the Light Dragoons if its a modern patch.I think it comes from the 15/19 th Hussars,if not 13/18th.
The other one,im not 100% sure but 14/20th rings a bell somewhere in my head.
Old 21-07-09, 06:18 PM

The mod chart gives the b/w diamond as the current TRF of THE LIGHT DRAGOONS. Sorry,
cannot help with the other.

locking
Old 21-07-09, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locking View Post
The mod chart gives the b/w diamond as the current TRF of THE LIGHT DRAGOONS. Sorry,
cannot help with the other.

locking
It doesnt appear to be a TRF patch,more likely to be the flash worn on the sleeve of No2 dress etc
Old 27-07-09, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The black and white is related to the Light Dragoons if its a modern patch.I think it comes from the 15/19 th Hussars,if not 13/18th.
The other one,im not 100% sure but 14/20th rings a bell somewhere in my head.
well, to say the truth both have been sold as WWIIvintage, but I'm much more persuaded the about the B/W one: therefore 15/19th Hussars or 13/18th, I guess? thank you so much!
Old 28-07-09, 03:12 PM

Hi folks,

I may be wrong here, I can't remember where I saw this info and despite trawling through several books, I have had no luck. My apologies in advance if this is completely wrong, but it might help to jog someones memory.

1. White and Black was also the colours for the Queens Own Royal West Kent Regt. (Could be a pagri badge/arm flash?)

2. The Royal Army Pay Corps regimental flash was a diamond, split horizontally, with top half in yellow(Gold), over a blue bottom half. But from memory it was more of a lighter blue.
(N.B. In real life is the 'blue' a very dark blue almost black? Just that the Hampshires were Gold/Black)

-In retrospect a rubbish post. The only thing I have been able to subsequently find is that the 13th/18th Hussars arm badge was a white/black diamond as already mentioned. Sorry. I will keep looking.

Ian

Last edited by 4966Ian; 28-07-09 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Senility
Old 28-07-09, 04:46 PM

On formation of the Light Dragoons (1st of December 1992) it was decided to continue wearing the South Africa flash of the 13th/18th Hussars.

This originally consisted of two pieces of felt one white and one black (very dark blue) stitched together to form a diamond.

The flash is worn on the left sleeve with white to the front.

Size: 60 x 65 mm, worn by Warrant Officers and below on Number 2 Dress.

Size: 50 mm, worn by all ranks on the Combat Jacket.

Size: 36 mm, a commercially produced flash (machine embroidered with a black merrowed cut edge) introduced during 1999, worn on both uniforms.
Old 28-07-09, 04:51 PM

Not sure of the exact shape but,

A vertically divided gold [yellow] and maroon diamond.

60th (Middlesex) Seach Light Regiment RA (TA), formed in 1940 from the 9th Battalion, The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), redesignated in 1942 as 126th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment RA (Middlesex) (TA).