British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-06-09, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Scarcest Queen's Crown badge?

For the Canadian Queen's Crown era, 1953 - current, which cap badge / badges are the most difficult to find?
Old 24-06-09, 12:00 PM

To start the ball rolling I'll toss out the Victoria Rifles followed by the Halifax Rifles. While harder to find they are not that overly expensive ( compared to other rarer badges from different eras). I think this makes collecting the 1953 and up badges affordable and enjoyable for quite a few collectors.Roy Thompson"s series of books gives a pretty good reference and that is important to have also...
Old 24-06-09, 12:49 PM

Hi Gents. Jim, when you say << While harder to to find they are not that overly expensive...>> speaking for myself, I have never seen a HR QC up to now but, a Victoria Rifles QC selling at $150.00+ by Louis Grimshaw.....that I find expensive. And yes, I can always wait for one to show up on E**y........
But that's only my opinion.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 24-06-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 24-06-09, 04:38 PM

Jo... I'm not saying that $150 isn't alot of money but for the top end badges of that era being that price I would say it's good value... versus $300-$500 and up for the top 10 of the 1920-53 era. When you get into the CEF stuff then the prices really start to light up...
Old 24-06-09, 04:48 PM

I will agree with you on this Jim, Finding a nice high end badge is and will always a bit expensive, when you can find them. Luckily, there's not many of those QC around. As for the CEF badges,IMHO, there's a bit of a con-job going here and, I'm sure, you already heard some sellers say....."well you know, these are hard to come by and scarce etc, etc, etc, so that's why there are so expensive....." when I remember that in the early-80s you could buy most of them for between $20 to $50.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-06-09, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Jim, Jo, when we are talking about 20-50 badges, are we talking WW2? I think many many of the militia badges are extremely scarce but the value is not as high as say the Garrison Bn or Prince Rupert due to demand.
In reference to the qc, the Halifax Rifles and the Vic Rifles are the easy ones, but what about other badges like the unilingual enamel Engineers badge? Some of the problem is that there is no updated catalogue for qc. Thompson's is really an "until unification" book, and there has been a lot of badges and badge varieties issued since. The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada error badge is already scraping $100 US on some days. And the number of varieties to the Black Watch qc is amazing. Some of the officer's varieties were just sold on ebay and many went for big $. (Again, scarcity and value are not the same thing.)
Old 24-06-09, 07:35 PM

Bill... when I'm talking 20-50's I'm including the militia badges plus the ww2"s. Alot of the militia badges are probably priced lower than the rarity of them but the demand is as you say more slanted into the ww2 badges as there are probably more collectors of these badges.