British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-09, 02:45 AM

Default Some of my stuff.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24475361@N04/
Old 01-06-09, 08:41 AM

Huge collection mate, very nice.
Cheers,
Pieter
Old 01-06-09, 11:54 AM

Thanks Pieter.

I have just finished loading the rest of the photos. There should be 7 pages in total.

This is the collection which I mentioned I was considering selling a few months back.
Unfortunately the current financial situation kind of put paid to that.

Am happy to receive ANY feedback, opinions, etc regarding any of this insignia, as I am no expert.
Old 01-06-09, 01:41 PM

Credit where it's due. A great collection of items worth a fortune.

If you had presented this collection like this last time, when you proposed selling it. You wouldn't have had any of the, now clearly wrong scepticism from us all, myself included.

Outstanding collection of AAC items and SF stuff. Apologies all round I think!
Old 01-06-09, 02:33 PM

Mate,
some really nice SF bits.
Must have taken an age to accumulate such a collection? It will be a crying shame if you do have to get rid and break it up.
Thanks for sharing.
Jon
Old 01-06-09, 02:40 PM

Thanks Mike and Jon.
I've had a real buzz putting this collection together over the years but would let it go if I was offered the right price.
Needs must and all that !
Meanwhile, on with the hunt for those illusive bits that I still havn't managed to get my mits on. i.e. genuine ww2 1st SAS titles and artists patches from the Malayan scouts era.
Always on the lookout.
Old 03-06-09, 06:45 AM

I agree with the compliments made above.
However I would like to comment on some of the badges: the straight airborne strip is a replica, and so are the whitemetal AAC cap badges with sliders. We have discussed them on this forum. I would like to see a close up of the bronze AAC cap badge, but it looks like a darkened version of a wm replica that some British seller is listing on ebay regularly. The glider pilot titles at the top, these are replicas. The printed titles with numer 3, these are pure fantasy. They were never made but they show up regularly on ebay. Untill a few weeks ago I would have sworn all large size glider pilot wings/army flying badges on a khaki background were fakes. However, there was a RA AOP service dress on ebay a little while back that sported such wings and it was genuine. The khaki background made it stand out beautifully. Your example is a replica, most wings from the manufacturer are on a black background.
Old 03-06-09, 10:44 AM

Default collection

Hi
First off i would like to say that its a great collection, but im afraid i would have to agree with Luc, ive noticed that some of the sas items are fake, a couple i can see from the pictures are obvious, would need close ups of the others though

Brian
Old 03-06-09, 02:58 PM

Airtrooper has stated clearly he is not an expert but an enthusiastic collector.

Whilst there are some obvious fantasy items in the collection (HAC wings for example) and some copies. There are far more genuine items in AT's collection. I'm sure a cull by some of the real experts would still leave a substancial collection that anyone with similar interests would love to own.

I'm particularly jealous and fond of the superb Modern AAC patch collection, but a change in my collecting habits isn't what I can afford or what I'm looking for at this moment. Otherwise an offer would be PM'd at once.

The saddest part is the money wasted on those few dodgy items will still be a large sum. As nothing Para/SF is ever cheap even the conmen put a heavy price on the fakes.

I know I'm still sadly learning the hard way.