British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-08, 04:50 PM

Default Parachute badges

Here's a selection of some of my wings collection, for your enjoyment. The SF badge was worn by the 'Jedburghs'; however, I think this one is a copy. The two smaller SF ones, in what I refer to as Oxford blue and Cambridge blue, I had never seen before and know nothing about.
Old 18-02-08, 04:53 PM

Sorry, something went wrong when I tried to attach the picures. I'll try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wings23.jpg (65.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 18-02-08, 04:57 PM

Sorry, I still got it wrong. I think I'll have to compress the files and try again later. My sincere apologies!
Old 06-03-08, 05:12 PM

Here are a couple for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:27 PM.
Old 20-07-10, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Here are a couple for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.
First two are Royal Navy, as is the second to last one in red. The third one is Army tropical issue I think and the last one is for combats IIRC.

Your SF wings are a copy I think.

ATB,
Tom
Old 20-07-10, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
First two are Royal Navy, as is the second to last one in red. The third one is Army tropical issue I think and the last one is for combats IIRC.

Your SF wings are a copy I think.

ATB,
Tom
The last three are RM issue.
Old 20-07-10, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Old 22-07-10, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I was attached to the Royal Marines back in the 70s and never saw the red on khaki wing being worn, do you know what uniform it's worn on? On the dress No1 blues it's gold/silver bullion on dark blue/black the same as the RN wing, on the Lovats it was the same but on green backing and all other orders of dress was the standard army wing including on the stone shirt worn with Lovat trousers.

If I was asked, not having read your info, I would have assumed it was RAF as they wear the stone shirt identical to the RM for tropical rig and have red on khaki shoulder eagles, a pretty uncommon colour combination.
Old 22-07-10, 07:41 PM

Sorry no idea what they are worn on, all came from a QM of 29 Commando Regiment RA.

Here is another one for the RM.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 22-07-10, 08:32 PM

The bullion wing for the lovats is smaller than the nos 1,s . These came from RM Condor, home to 45 and 29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (98.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 22-07-10, 08:52 PM

Old and new gold on blue RM parachute wings.

Old 23-07-10, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Old and new gold on blue RM parachute wings.
Those new ones are abysmal, I can see the boys looking after the ones they've got or buying private. I've noticed of late that all these bullion type RN/RM badges are really getting gaudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
The bullion wing for the lovats is smaller than the nos 1,s . These came from RM Condor, home to 45 and 29
I realised the Lovats badge was smaller, the only comparison I was trying to make was the bullion construction.

The big question is:- When did the R.N. move the wing from the left cuff to the right shoulder? I don't know but it was post 1979 when I left.
Old 24-07-10, 09:40 AM

I think the RN still wear jump wing on the left cuff for nos 1,s. There are not many chances to earn them now and i have only met a few guys with them. Most seem to have got them through an RN run course. They can wear them on nos 1,s but not on greens unless they do P company. RN cdo can earn them if attached to an airborne unit and can wear them on the upper arm on all dress.
I am open to correction as my info comes from talking to guys on camp, and some do talk crap
Old 24-07-10, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
I think the RN still wear jump wing on the left cuff for nos 1,s. There are not many chances to earn them now and i have only met a few guys with them. Most seem to have got them through an RN run course. They can wear them on nos 1,s but not on greens unless they do P company. RN cdo can earn them if attached to an airborne unit and can wear them on the upper arm on all dress.
I am open to correction as my info comes from talking to guys on camp, and some do talk crap

It's bloody confusing with RN jump wings. Back in the 70s I messed with a guy that got his wings with the TA before joining the mob. Easy in those days RN didn't wear the lightbulb AFAK. He wore his wings lower left cuff as did the RC Padre on the real Ark Royal. One did the TA equivalent of P Coy, the bish did the All Arms.

I raised the question, it may have been on this forum, why does the POW wear his para wing on his right shoulder? It's always been that way was the concensus, when I know it wasn't.

The light bulb for the RN according to BR*** whatever the dress regs BR is, 80 I think, is for SPAG. It shows the full wing but doesn't state where it's to be worn. I was working on a Type 23 a while ago and asked the crusher about it but she was far more interested in telling me about her new Pakistani made gaudy ROYAL NAVY POLICE mudguards..

I think the move from cuff to shoulder was made when the RN lost the COMMANDO rocker and aquired the dagger, but when was it?
Old 24-07-10, 07:42 PM

Asked for and made for 3 Cdo Bde, but not taken into use. Although some may have been or are being worn by individuals.