British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-04-16, 01:11 PM

Default Any advice before buying a cap?

Hello again!

i'm currently collecting WW2 RN Flag Officer's uniform.
yes, its a Admiral's visor.
​Named to a Rear-Admiral Kenelm D.P. Hall-Patch

and i really curious about visor's color.
how is black and white cap different?
just seasonal wear?
Its it right cap for winter uniforms with greatcoat?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Choi

Last edited by Focuslight; 29-04-16 at 12:16 AM.
Old 28-04-16, 02:14 PM

Hello Focuslight,

I am afraid that naval items are not really my thing but I would think that looking at the inside is as important as looking at the exterior.

I would have thought that a high ranking officer would have his uniform items made by a well known military tailor and you should expect to find the makers name and address on the inside of the cap. You might even find the owners name or initials.

Hopefully a member will be along shortly who can answer your questions in detail.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-04-16, 02:22 PM

Hello Choi, 안녕하세요 (from Google translate)

Welcome to the Forum. I visited Seoul ten years ago on business and loved the city. I also managed to pick up a few S.Korean badges in a market near the Korean War Memorial. A friend of mine gave me a N.Korean Navy cap badge a while ago.

I'm not a naval expert, but during WW2 it seems that all RN caps were like yours (possibly also RCN and RAN). Certainly all those serving in the North Atlantic wore dark-topped caps. I'm not sure when it changed. I think naval officers in SE Asia may have worn white-topped caps. I'll let someone else provide the definitive answer. It's a nice cap, though.
Best wishes, David
Old 28-04-16, 03:18 PM

Nice looking cap from the outside.

Do check the interior for makers mark such as Gieves and Hawkes, a popular military outfitter especially to the RN. The exterior of the visor for Commanders and above should be black cloth rather than a shiny leather or plastic peak.

Generally during the war years blue caps were worn in winter and white in the summer months. Officers would use white cotton cap covers. The exception being in home waters where blue caps were the rule regardless of season. Of course things changed in 1955 when jack was issued with the beloved white plastic topped cap.

Best regards and heres to a bloody war or a sickly season..Up Spirits

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........
Old 28-04-16, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redadmiral View Post
Nice looking cap from the outside.

Do check the interior for makers mark such as Gieves and Hawkes, a popular military outfitter especially to the RN. The exterior of the visor for Commanders and above should be black cloth rather than a shiny leather or plastic peak.
Though I would be concerned if it was made by Gieves & Hawkes as they did not combine until 1974, so wartime would be Gieves.

The cap looks to probably be correct, but I would want more pics before spending money on it.

Jerry
Old 28-04-16, 08:51 PM

Thanks Jerry For clarification

Any ship can be a minesweeper.....once (Admiral Hornblower)

If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life vest.......I would miss you so much.

Instruction painted on US rocket launcher "AIM toward the enemy".........
Old 29-04-16, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Hello Focuslight,

I am afraid that naval items are not really my thing but I would think that looking at the inside is as important as looking at the exterior.

I would have thought that a high ranking officer would have his uniform items made by a well known military tailor and you should expect to find the makers name and address on the inside of the cap. You might even find the owners name or initials.

Hopefully a member will be along shortly who can answer your questions in detail.

P.B.
Thanks, Peter

i can't see any mark of tailor's name but only one owner's name.

Choi
Old 29-04-16, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Hello Choi, 안녕하세요 (from Google translate)

Welcome to the Forum. I visited Seoul ten years ago on business and loved the city. I also managed to pick up a few S.Korean badges in a market near the Korean War Memorial. A friend of mine gave me a N.Korean Navy cap badge a while ago.

I'm not a naval expert, but during WW2 it seems that all RN caps were like yours (possibly also RCN and RAN). Certainly all those serving in the North Atlantic wore dark-topped caps. I'm not sure when it changed. I think naval officers in SE Asia may have worn white-topped caps. I'll let someone else provide the definitive answer. It's a nice cap, though.
Best wishes, David
Thanks David

I'm so happy to your greetings.
appreciate for answers.

Choi