British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-16, 11:29 PM

deleted post

Last edited by Cazzie; 08-02-16 at 12:28 PM. Reason: delete post no longer needed
Old 26-01-16, 11:40 PM

Could of been in Northern Italy though at time of injury on 8th December in European theater
Old 27-01-16, 08:57 AM

Smile

I don't if this will help, but Ashton is in Lancashire. l know of two Cheshire towns near Ashton one is Macclesfield the other is Stockport which is very near Ashton, it is where the film Yanks was made. I know a lot of American troops were in the area Portwood in Stockport as my father remembers them.
Old 27-01-16, 09:05 AM

Did you manage to track down any photos of him in uniform?

If so, it might be possible to find out more from the badges he is wearing.
Old 27-01-16, 10:06 AM

I think he was in the US 7th air force when injured in the European theater no I haven't any pictures of him at all.
Old 27-01-16, 10:11 AM

There were two temporary(NissanHutted) camps near Ashton-Under-Lyne simply called North Camp and South Camp, US Troops would arrive mainly at Liverpool and be sent to these camps and many like them, post war they were used as dispersal camps for returning servicemen.
Ladysmith Barracks was close by but used mainly by the Manchester Regt and other smaller units.
There was an old Mill - Whitakers' which was commandeered but I am not fully sure who was based there.
Hope it helps.
Paul
Old 27-01-16, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
I think he was in the US 7th air force when injured in the European theater no I haven't any pictures of him at all.
US 7th Air Force where in the Pacific theatre,
RAF Burtonwood,nnr Warrington was taken over by the US Air Force in 1943 which serviced the 8th 9th 12th and 15th, it was a massive complex which had many US service personnel, Ashton-Under-Lyne is not too far away.
Paul

Also you may want to take in to account that many Lge Country/Manor houses were used by US troops as HQ's and accommodation for Officers, some were also boarded in family homes

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 27-01-16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added
Old 27-01-16, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Most probably the 8th, that flew mostly bombers from East Anglia but would have had a "tail" going back to ports like Liverpool.

Is it possible that he was air crew shot down over Europe? Was he a Sgt or above?

If so, there will be a missing aircraft report available from America. I am sure that somebody can point you in the right direction. It might be done online these days?

When I researched a distant relative who was killed on a Flying Fortress I used "snail mail", and was actually sent the information on microfiche.

Last edited by BWEF; 27-01-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 27-01-16, 04:16 PM

He was injured the document said on 08/12/1944 in european theatre said 7th air force but he enlisted as a private in 1943. He wasnt killed in the war he died in 1973 aged 49.

Really puzzling not getting anywhere in placing him in the uk but know he was there as he fathered a child by my late aunt before she met my uncle who was born in 1946 and his name is so unusual that it has to be the same man.
Old 27-01-16, 04:34 PM

Could be 7th Recconnaisane Group (USAAF) who supported 8th AF , a Google search will give you info on them
Paul
Old 28-01-16, 06:46 AM

Quote:
He was injured the document said on 08/12/1944 in european theatre said 7th air force but he enlisted as a private in 1943. He wasnt killed in the war he died in 1973 aged 49.

Really puzzling not getting anywhere in placing him in the uk but know he was there as he fathered a child by my late aunt before she met my uncle who was born in 1946 and his name is so unusual that it has to be the same man.
Have you looked at him being a prisoner of war?

If he was aircrew and injured in either August or December of 1944 he could have been shot down. If he was the wrong side of enemy lines, and injured, he would most likely have been taken prisoner.

It ought to be easy enough to check as you say he has an unusual surname.

https://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-...tion.jsp?s=644
Old 28-01-16, 08:10 AM
Hanbut

Hello do you have a regimental number, usually 7 digits. I have a friend in Washington that traces war records, yours Andrew
Old 28-01-16, 03:02 PM

He may not have been combat crew at all but ground crew and that's why he was injured not wounded.
Old 28-01-16, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
He may not have been combat crew at all but ground crew and that's why he was injured not wounded.
True, but if he was bombing Germany, or occupied Europe, and his plane was shot down, but he wasn't hit, couldn't he have been injured in the plane crash or when he came down on a chute?
Old 28-01-16, 04:43 PM

I live in Ashton under Lyne and if you find out any locations he was at, and they are still in existence, I can take photos for you if you wish.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges