British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-09, 02:47 AM

Default WW2 Parachute Regt badge Question

I have a few Parachute Regiment badges in my collection, What firm made the first WW2 badge and what did it look like?
Old 19-01-09, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Joe,

They were lugged and not maker marked so unless someone has access to official records (unlikely) the it is impossible to find out. Later badges had sliders but I have only ever seen an anodised aluminium badge with a genuine makers name on it.

From reading early accounts the first recruits wore AAC badges until a Parachute Regt badge was designed.

Alan
Old 19-01-09, 10:01 PM

No Alan, They where part of the AAC but wore their Original Regiment's Headdress and Capbadges. The Scene in Alan Ladds Paratrooper film where they swap headdress was apparently quite realistic.
Old 19-01-09, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

I stand corrected. I will look up the reference.

Alan
Old 19-01-09, 10:55 PM

I have been informed that the first pattern para badge was all brass but was soon replaced with wm as the brass was not prominent enough on the red beret! Any comments welcome!
Cheers, Dave
Old 20-01-09, 05:02 AM

Thanks to those who answered the Q on Parachute Regiment badges , it looks like I have a bit to learn
Old 12-03-09, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
No Alan, They where part of the AAC but wore their Original Regiment's Headdress and Capbadges. The Scene in Alan Ladds Paratrooper film where they swap headdress was apparently quite realistic.
Not strictly true mate, I have a period photo gleaned from another forum showing a Para wearing the AAC badge. If I can find it in amongst my image files I'll let you take a look...best send the image to you rather than show it here though as I may get into trouble (it's copyrighted)

Cheers,

Kev C
Old 13-03-09, 12:13 AM

If you see any of the photos of the survivors coming back from the Brunival raid, there's about 40 different headdress's and not a AAC cap badge in sight.

The only time I've ever seen photo's of 'Paras' wearing AAC badges is Prior to the GPR being formed and when the SAS wore them in 1944 because of the 'Commando' execution order.

But I'm not putting myself forward as an expert. If you've evidence that it was worn who am I to argue?
Old 13-03-09, 07:04 AM

Quote:
The only time I've ever seen photo's of 'Paras' wearing AAC badges is Prior to the GPR being formed and when the SAS wore them in 1944 because of the 'Commando' execution order.
Can someone help me out here.

Alan wrote:-

"From reading early accounts the first recruits wore AAC badges until a Parachute Regt badge was designed"

You replied:-

"No Alan, They where part of the AAC but wore their Original Regiment's Headdress and Capbadges"

The Parachute Regiment had their own badge in what, 1943?, the year after the GPR was formed. Alan said the Paras wore the AAC badge until they got their own badge and you replied that they didn't. Now you're saying they did prior to the formation of the GPR.

I'm confused, and I don't think it's the ale

Kev C

Last edited by AAC_GPR; 13-03-09 at 07:09 AM.
Old 13-03-09, 05:53 PM

Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't intended. When I replied to Alans post it was on the grounds that the FIRST Para recruits wore their Parent unit insignia not the AAC badge.

Churchill ordered the formation of Army Air Corps and Airborne Forces in June 1940 With the fledgling Central Landing School at Ringway and the continuing organisation and training of 'Airborne forces' throughout 1940 with 2 Commando being the 1st to jump on 13th July 1940. By the end of 1940 they where renamed 11 Special Air Service Bn. By February 1941 they had jumped on their 1st operation at Tragino.

The 1st Parachute Brigade formed in September 41 and shortly after the 1st Airlanding Brigade. In India 50th Indian Parachute Brigade was formed. In November the 1st Airborne Division was formed.

The Glider Pilot Regiment (AAC) founded 21 December 1941. glider Pilots replace AAC insignia with new GPR insignia.

February 1942 2nd Parachute Bn drop on Bruneval.

On 1 August 1942, the Parachute Regiment was established as a regiment of the Army Air Corps.

Prior to 1 August 1942, Army personnel assigned to parachute duty wore the badges of their respective Regiments and Corps.

From 1st August 1942 the AAC badge was to be worn by the Parachute Regiment on the famous Maroon 'Red Beret'.

However the 1st Airborne Division was on operations in North Africa in support of the 1st Army.

In the meantime the new Parachute Regiment badge (which we all know and love) was instituted in May 1943. It was worn immediately and was very well received. In most cases directly replacing the parent unit insignia. (5th Parachute Bn did not convert to Maroon Berets from Balmorals until September 1944)

Clear as mud!
Old 13-03-09, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

So from Aug 42-May 43 Para regt wore the AAC cap badge before the new badge was introduced. I think that clarifys my recollection of the account.

Alan
Old 13-03-09, 08:42 PM

No problem about the confusion, interesting to read that the Paras wore the badges of their Parent Units prior to them wearing the AAC badge. Can I ask what the source of GPR formation date is?. Reason I ask is that I was led to believe they were formed in February '42 and that date doesn't tie-in with the 1941 Hallmark on a silver AAC badge I recently bought.

Kev C
Old 13-03-09, 11:03 PM

both these publications and I only looked at these 2 so probably many more:

Insignia of the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces 1940-1948. By Peter J. McDermott

British Airborne Forces Golden Jubilee 1940 -1990
Old 14-03-09, 02:50 AM

Thanks for that
Old 14-03-09, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Clear as mud!
Indeed! Special Army Order 21 dated 27th february 1942 is about the formation of the AAC on 24th february 1942.