British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-15, 12:52 PM

Default WW2 (?)knife by W.H.Fagan and Son

I acquired this knife from an old gentleman who told me that it had been carried on missions by a member of RAF aircrew during WW2.

The blade has the makers name W.H.Fagan and Son on one side and Made in Sheffield England on the other.

I didn't pay very much for the item and I don't think I was told the tale so I would increase my offer but has anyone come across this maker in connection with knives used by members of the services in WW2 ?

Many thanks

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1422.jpg (80.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1423.jpg (72.2 KB, 40 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-09-15, 01:57 PM

Hello Peter

I have an almost identical knife, marked 'Made in Sheffield' but no maker's name. I have always believed this to be a perfectly normal, commercially produced sheath knife. More than happy to be proved wrong, of course!

Regards
Roger
Old 28-09-15, 02:10 PM

Hi Peter,

These are standard commercial patterns based loosely on the F-S Fighting Knife design. They were produced by a myriad of makers based mostly in Sheffield. Many of these were made post war and for many decades after, and are often claimed to be of WWII vintage.

The good news is that your example certainly seems to be from WWII. The general way to tell is the material used for the crossguard and pommel. Your example looks like alloy which would be correct for WWII. Many of these are found with brass which of course was a strategic material at the time and strictly controlled. So as a general rule for these knives - alloy fittings = WWII, brass = postwar.

Hope that helps?

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 28-09-15, 02:45 PM

Thanks Roger and Roy,

A search has found this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/18074...Commando+Knife

and this:

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/au...2-a3f601257a98

So not proof but a possiblity that the tale I was told may have some truth to it.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 28-09-15 at 02:51 PM.
Old 28-09-15, 02:56 PM

Hi Peter,

The first link references my own website and links this knife to the RAF Servicing Commando Unit Knife which is actually incorrect. The RAF SCU knife is actually a different design and by a different maker and although of commercial design was actually an officially produced and issued knife (photo of needed).

This doesn't detract from your example but just want to clarify the incorrect comments made on the first link.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 28-09-15, 03:01 PM

Thanks Roy,

It does seem that knives made by the company were used by the services in WW2 and that is all I was looking to establish.

Thanks for your help.

Peter