British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-09, 03:47 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default VR initals

Does anyone know what units wore the metal VR ? I know thr RCAF wore one & I believe it meant Volunteer Reserve. What about the Vancouver Regt & the Victoria Rifles? I've only seen brass ones & they have all been about the same size. Ray
Old 10-01-09, 04:58 PM

Also the RAFVR
Old 10-01-09, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ray, I believe the VR is for the Volunteer Reserve. The title for the Vancouver Regiment was VANCOUVER, but Mazeas also shows the VR as the metal title for the Irish Fusiliers (pg 56). I think this is an error. Phil H, what is your understanding of the VR title?
The title for the Victoria Rifles is VRC.
Old 10-01-09, 08:04 PM

The shoulder title authorised in the General Orders for 1925 for The Vancouver Regiment is "VANCOUVER".
The "VR", which I have never seen without the top and bottom bars is RAF/RCAF. Worn as a collar badge by the Volunteer Reserve, just as "A" was worn by the Auxilliary.

Phil
Old 11-01-09, 12:51 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Thanks fellows, I only know them as Air Force, I'm sure I have seen them without the bars at least without the top bar, but I have seen them called both Victoria Rifles & Vancouver Regt or Irish Fusiliers which got me wondering, one can always be wrong, I have been on many an occasion. Phil I've seen the A wore on the lower end of the RCAF shoulder board was this proper, and should it be on the bottom rank tape or below it?. Ray