British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-15, 04:01 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default Mametz Wood

On a recent visit to the Somme battlefields, I was fortunate to arrive at Mametz wood just as a Regimental Association Remembrance Service was finishing. They were just about to place wreathes for all Welsh regiments who took part in the battle for the wood in July 1916. I would like to share a photo of a very proud Welsh veteran who is a credit to his Regiment. I felt proud also to be invited to share in their remembrance. It made my day and is a memory that I will treasure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A057.jpg (116.6 KB, 66 views)
Old 25-07-15, 05:47 PM

Recognise my avatar?
Insignia below to the 16th Welsh who fought there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 25-07-15, 06:31 PM

Absolutely! The guys were a wonderful bunch. It was a real delight to meet them. What I had not really realised until they told me was that the woods have not been cleared and so still contain live ammunition, shells and remains of soldiers. (Not that I had any desire to explore the woods!).

Last edited by Charliedog012012; 25-07-15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 25-07-15, 09:41 PM

A trio of medals to one of those who fought there with 15th (London Welsh) Bn RWF.

A gripping and detailed account of their part in the battle is detailed in Ll. Wyn Griffiths Up To Mametz or even better in the revised and annotated version edited by Jon Riley, Up To Mametz and Beyond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hanks J RWF trio 15th Bn London Welsh..jpg (62.3 KB, 8 views)

Jerry
Old 25-07-15, 10:07 PM

Jerry,
Many thanks for that information. I shall certainly take a look. What I found distressing about the battle for Mametz Wood is the horrendous losses suffered against impossible odds......for the High Command to criticise their efforts in such a derogatory manner. So unjust! It reminds me of an exchange between an officer in the field and the Generals to the rear..."those men are a disgrace to the British Army. Please explain why they have not moved forward" ....to which the reply came, "the reason that they are not moving,Sir, is because they are dead!" For his honesty, the officer was removed from his command.
Old 26-07-15, 05:08 AM

It's not just the woods that haven't been cleared. I found a live grenade in the field behind the 38th Div memorial two years ago. The woods are also part of a local shoot and should be respected as such. The local hunt would not appreciate disturbance of their game.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 26-07-15, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 View Post
Jerry,
Many thanks for that information. I shall certainly take a look. What I found distressing about the battle for Mametz Wood is the horrendous losses suffered against impossible odds......for the High Command to criticise their efforts in such a derogatory manner. So unjust! It reminds me of an exchange between an officer in the field and the Generals to the rear..."those men are a disgrace to the British Army. Please explain why they have not moved forward" ....to which the reply came, "the reason that they are not moving,Sir, is because they are dead!" For his honesty, the officer was removed from his command.
The attempt to blame the "failure" on the troops and their commander in the field who was removed seems to have been totally inappropriate and the high commands were playing the blame game. The annotated version is worth getting as it continues beyond where the original book stops and is packed with a lot of other information added by General Jon Riley who was the last commanding officer of the RWF before they were amalgamated in 2006. He is well known for publishing on the history of the regiment.

The part where the author, Griffiths has to send his younger sibling off as a runner is very moving.

Jerry
Old 26-07-15, 11:33 AM

Thanks Jerry. I have found a copy of the book on Abebooks and ordered it last night after reading your recommendation. Looking forward to reading it. It will be interesting to read how the story developed.
It seems that similar scorn was delivered by Haig on the Pals battalions at Serre whereas the Officers in the field described their pride (as well as their heartbreak) in the Pals battalions and described their determination and courage in the face of impossible odds.
Regards
James
Old 26-07-15, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
It's not just the woods that haven't been cleared. I found a live grenade in the field behind the 38th Div memorial two years ago. The woods are also part of a local shoot and should be respected as such. The local hunt would not appreciate disturbance of their game.
Hwyl,
Kevin
I am always amazed at the 'iron harvest' each year even after 100 years. Surprisingly, I noticed no shell fragments or shrapnel balls on the Somme (perhaps because of metal detector tourists!) . However, when we went over to the Loos battlefield, I picked up several fragments of a shell within a few feet of each other. I do not envy the farmers trying to work this land....farmers killed by live ammunition is still reported.
Regards
James