British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-08, 09:48 PM

Default Cheshire (Earl of Chester's) Yeomanry

Need info on this badge, it's a nickel plated bi-metal Cheshire (Earl of Chester's) Yeomanry badge, unfortunately not mine, so it's difficult to get better photo's.
Also looking for a timeline on Cheshire Yeomanry badges, who wore what and when? I know nothing about them so any info is most welcome.

Cheers,
fougasse1940.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cheshire Yeomanry.JPG (28.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 27-12-08, 09:21 AM

Attached is a picture of my collection from when I collected to the Chehire Yeomanry ( all sold many years ago ). As with all yeomanries there are more badges than you would initially think. One interesting thing is that I was told by a WW2 member ( Royal Signals ) that he was actually issued with a Cheshire I.Y. cap badge.

I have just found some more photos of Cheshire Yeo badges ,a fellow collector send me these some time ago

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9273_r1.jpg (68.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg img445.jpg (61.0 KB, 130 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Alan O; 30-06-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 27-12-08, 09:46 AM

In March 1942 after the Syrian campaign, the Cheshire Yeomanry was transferred to the Royal Corps of Signals, becoming the 5th (from February 1945 11th) Line of Communications Signals Regiment (Cheshire Yeomanry)
As signallers they wore their own cap badge. Apparently there was also a white on blue (the colours of the Signals) shoulder title.
They were transferred to the RAC on 1 April 1947, I take it the red on yellow shoulder title is from that period.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 27-12-08, 02:54 PM

Default Cheshire Yeomanry

Hello Fougass, I think your badge may be a chrome plated original. Many yeomanry units experimented with chrome plated badges pre anodised aluminium. Some badges show signs of wear pre plating. All the best Sean.
Old 29-12-08, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael cronin View Post
Hello Fougass, I think your badge may be a chrome plated original. Many yeomanry units experimented with chrome plated badges pre anodised aluminium. Some badges show signs of wear pre plating. All the best Sean.
Hi Sean,

Its original alright, but what beats me is why you would go about plating a bi-metal badge, when white-metal badges also exist?
Any info on the times of wearing white-metal vs. bi-metal?

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 29-12-08, 12:53 PM

Some units had their cap badges chromium plated for particularly important events ( an example in the case of the Yeomanry might have been the presentation of new Guidons )

Just to go off at a tangent,the number of variations of badges to the Cheshire Yeomanry is amazing, I remember finding what I thought was a light bronze coloured example in a militaria shop in Chester,when I got it home and looked at it more closely it was an OR`s badge which had been heavily silver plated and then coated with a varnish ( presumably by a collector to preserve the finish- this was quite common many years ago) When I removed the old varnish I had a most attractive silver plated badge.

In the attached post card titled "Northwich Boys with the Cheshire Yeomanry Langley Park" a number of different cap badges are being worn at the same time,some with bright finishes and some with dull ( possibly bronze) finishes, one man has no badge at all.

If you can get in touch with either Bob Smith or Keith Hook, they could proably give you chapter and verse on Cheshire ( or indeed any other ) Yeomanry badges

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9287.jpg (53.3 KB, 35 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-12-08, 01:11 PM

Default Plated badges

First two photos show front and reverse NI Horse and a Yorkshire Dragoons arm badge both chrome plated, I believe regimen-tally, notice new fixings. Final two photos show a York Dragoon cap I believe nickel plated by the manufacturer .My theory behind these platings is at a time perhaps 1950s these are the forerunners of the stay bright badge. As there was previously an all white metal badge for the Cheshire Yeomanry and I don't think it possible to mask the brass parts of the badge against plating, you end up with the badge you own. All the best Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrome front.jpg (19.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg chrome back.jpg (18.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg chrome y front.jpg (11.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg chrome y back.jpg (11.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 29-12-08, 01:23 PM

If the attached is legible,it is from an article in Crown Imperial. Winter 1994 ( No77) by Albert Osbourne and contains some interesting snippets from his personal experiences.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9290.jpg (98.0 KB, 46 views)

Old 29-12-08, 01:23 PM

If the attached is legible,it is from an article in Crown Imperial. Winter 1994 ( No77) by Albert Osbourne and contains some interesting snippets from his personal experiences.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9290.jpg (98.0 KB, 21 views)

Old 05-01-09, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post

P.B.
Thanks again P.B.. It seems my example is the earlier one with the larger plumes.
Your posted article implies that it was from before the end of WWII. That should date my badge anywhere between 1908 and 1947?
The principles of chrome-plating were discovered in 1924, and plating started in the 1930's, but this bi-metal badge could very well be older.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 05-01-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 05:31 AM

This has been a very interesting thread -- thanks to all who contributed. I have a copy of Verdin's Cheshire Yeomanry unit history published in 1971 -- to be honest I haven't read it right through (it's rather lengthy) but dipping in here and there I notice two things:
-on its conversion to 5 L of C Signals in WW2 any Royal Signals personnel posted to the unit were permitted to wear either Cheshire Yeo or R Sigs badges: 'The Colonel and most officers changed immediately to Yeomanry badges; other ranks followed their example more slowly but in the end virtually all became Yeomen.' (p. 380)
- postwar photos seem to suggest that on conversion back to the RAC the unit wore red-on-yellow CHESHIRE YEOMANRY cloth titles (plus the 23rd Armd Bde 'liver bird' patch), but that by the mid 1950s all seem to be wearing metal Y/CHESHIRE titles instead of the cloth ones.
Old 10-01-09, 09:23 AM

I also have a copy of Verdins book and I agree if is a great source of information but not a book you can read from cover to cover in one go.

I am attaching a picture of one of the few Cheshire Yeomanry items I still have, a contemporary copy of "General Orders at Liverpool" dated 1805

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9381.jpg (30.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 04-09-09, 03:10 PM

Default EARL OF CHESTER'S I.Y.

Hello,

This is my first posting on the Forum. I collect aviation related insignia pre 1945. I have acquired along the way a number of British badges. I would like to ask for members help in determining if they are likely to be genuine examples or copies/forgeries etc.

Many thanks in advance – kind regards, Malcolm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IY OBV.jpg (27.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IY REV.jpg (17.5 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by mjw; 04-09-09 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-09-09, 07:24 AM

MJW,
Sorry that no one has replied to your post, I have a policy of not passing opinions on the authenticity of other peoples badges ( one reason being that with so many manufacturers there are bound to be differences between the details on individual badges )

What I would say is that when I collected to the Cheshire Yeomanry ( some considerable time ago ), I had a similar badge with the single lug and short blade and I was happy with that badge.

P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 06-09-09 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-09-09, 05:13 PM

Malc,
I posted a thread a couple of months ago with photos of a Loyal North Lancs with a similiar fittings.
These were modified for a particular type of headdress I understand common on officers cap badges in 11th (Lonsdale) Battalion Border Regt.

Tags
cheshire