British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-12-08, 10:24 AM

Default Want To Start Collecting Canadian!

Hi All,

I'm currently an avid collector of British Army post 1953 (QC) badges. However, I've recently developed an interest in starting up a collection of Canadian badges from the same kind of era.

I'm just starting out in this, so I have little or no knowledge at all as of yet!

I'd be grateful for any advice on where I could find good, current Canadian badges?

Many thanks for any advice and a merry Christmas to you all!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 21-12-08, 12:20 PM

Good choice...post 53 canadian badges are still very reasonable cost wise to collect and I don't believe there is much of a restrike problem with them. Roy Thompson has a good series of books out which will give you a great reference on the subject. Plenty of deals on ebay and I would try picking up multiple badges either in the same lot or from the same seller to save on postage as the mailing costs will be a large percentage vs the cost of the badges. Marway.... Eugene Ursual... Arctic Medals are dealers with good website info and Louis Grimshaw puts out a great catalogue with price lists and stock available.... hope this helps... Jim
Old 21-12-08, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Paul. Great choice. To start, I would try to get a reference source. There are a couple of good references, but they are out of print. In books, look for Roy Thompson's Cap Badges & Insignia of the Canadian Army 1953 -1973, or The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army Volume I of the Canadian Army List Queen's Printer, or the Badges of the Canadian Forces Ministry of Supply and Services Canada. All of these are available through ABE Books.
There is also an excellent on line reference at the Canadian Department of National Defence, but it appears to be under revision or updating. Try the link, but many of the linked pages are not working. Hopefully this will be straightened out in the New Year. http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat-smama...egrade-eng.asp Follow the Cap Badges link, then the metal badges link and you will get a visual reference for most of the current cap badges of the Canadian Forces.
Collecting post-1953 Canadian badges can be split into different eras. There is the Canadian army period, from 1953 to approx 1968. In 1968 the Canadian army, navy, and air force were unified and new badges were issued for the Branches of the Canadian Forces. The regimental badges issued since the 1980's have distinctive differences from the earlier qc period. Finishes and fasteners being the main identifying characteristics. Perhaps you may wish to focus on a particular area? There are some very difficult badges in the time frame. The Halifax Rifles original qc, the Victoria Rifles qc, the uniligual branch badge ENGINEERS are all very hard to find.
And, I must say that our own forum would be very useful in collecting Canadian badges. Many of us can assist with information and explanations. Some may have badges for your wants.

Last edited by Bill A; 21-12-08 at 06:16 PM.
Old 21-12-08, 06:11 PM

I'm not able to add to the inforamtion above, However welcome to the wonderful world of Canadian Badge Collecting.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 21-12-08, 09:36 PM

Hi again,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to help and advise me, it's very much appreciated.

The information and websites were exactly what I was looking for - thanks jim a and Bill A, and thanks for the welcome Pylon1357!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-01-09, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

It appears the DND web site was being re-constructed. The links appear to be working now. http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/badge...egrade-eng.asp