British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-15, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Default WW2 Canadian Merchant Navy Service Records

Anyone know if there are any WW2 records available for the Canadian Merchant Navy?

I'm trying to find some information on 3rd Engineer Thomas MacGregor who died of natural causes (aged 49) on the Seaboard Star, 16th October 1946. His place of abode is given as Vancouver, next of kin his brother at 35, Malone Gardens, Birtley, Co. Durham.
Old 11-02-15, 04:28 PM

If there are, they're most likely at Library & Archives Canada here in Ottawa. Just Google it and you'll get to their site. Not sure what there is that pertains to your query, though as I've yet to se it for any research. Good luck!

David
Old 11-02-15, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks David, I've had a look around the Canadian Archives website but did not find any information in the WW2 Merchant Navy; but I have found something on the Canadian Veterans website which makes me think the records are still closed, (but can be used for vets to claim medals etc.)

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-...tion-banks/120
Old 11-02-15, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, The SWW records are closed, but sort of open as well. Depending on what you want, you can get limited information. The basic rule is that the vet has to be deceased for 20 years, (with proof of same) to acccess his records. It is still possible to get information such as medal entitlements etc if you have the name. It is helpful to have other information such as a service number etc. The best way to request service records is by an Access to Information inquiry. Second best is to hire a private researcher, or third, apply for his service record through the standard application. (The rumour mill has it that a standard enquiry may not get a response for up to a year, but an AI request requires a response in a certain number of days.
Old 13-02-15, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Many thanks Bill, I've emailed them about this. He died in service during the period their records cover so that should mean I can avoid having to get a death certificate. I've discovered he is buried in Adelaide, Australia, which is where his ship docked on the day of his death.