British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-12-08, 11:41 PM

Default Newest Badges to My CEF Collection

I just got these today!

6th CRT (RARE),7th CRT,9th CRT,10th CRT,and Fort Garry Horse (SCARCE).

CDN Chaplain Service Blackened White Metal (RARE)

As I have found out many years ago! Corps badges are RARE and expensive!

I still enjoy the hunt!

Cheers
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg six badges.jpg (53.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg headre141.jpg (2.2 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by mad4thcef; 04-12-08 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 02:33 AM

Default FGH Badge

Hi Rob, excuse my ignorance of CEF badges (the price I pay for specializing in one regiment) but what makes this FGH badge rare? How is it different or distinghuishable from the post WW1 - WW2 badge (Mazeus C50)

I thought the WW1 era FGH badge was just the Gate and scroll beneath, no maple leaf?
Old 04-12-08, 03:35 PM

Nice finds, Rob. Lovely to see!

Adam
Old 04-12-08, 05:31 PM

WJ, the banner/scroll and the maple leaf are of different shape in the post 1st WW.
Jo
http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery2...arry_Horse.jpg

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 04-12-08, 05:58 PM

Looks like someone has been rather busy. Many congrats on these additions to your collection.

I myself collect Second World War. but I can certainly appreciate the thrill of the hunt, and the feeling when a few of the rare ones are trapped.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 04-12-08, 06:02 PM

Default M response to your question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
Hi Rob, excuse my ignorance of CEF badges (the price I pay for specializing in one regiment) but what makes this FGH badge rare? How is it different or distinghuishable from the post WW1 - WW2 badge (Mazeus C50)

I thought the WW1 era FGH badge was just the Gate and scroll beneath, no maple leaf?
Hello Bill

In reponse to your question.

The low down!

In 1912/13 the full name for the regt was chosen The 34th FGH. The badge selected was the gate of the old fort with the motto " FACTA NON VERBA" (DEEDS NOT WORDS)

In Apr 1915 during this time the regt adopted a new cap badge consisting of a maple leaf and the gate of the 6th Bn CEF Western Canada with scroll changed to read " FORT GARRY HORSE".

I hope this answers your question.

I will also edit my picture to read Scarce! RARE is too harsh!

Babins doesn't show this badge as an example /variety charlton doesn't provide a picture. MAZEAS is post war to my knowledge and might have a reference as a pre/post WW2 badge not my area of expertise.

I do my homework!

A very good question!

Cheers
Rob
Old 04-12-08, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

A bit of clarification. The first CEF badge for the Fort Garry's was the 6th Bn variety, the Fort Garry Horse with the "6" on the scroll. This was for the time when the Garry's were an infantry battalion. The Garry's were reorganized as the Canadian Cavalry Depot on March 6, 1915. I don't know what cap badge was worn in that period. They were then organized as the Fort Garry Horse and became a cavalry regiment, January 21,1916. They joined the Canadian Cavalry Brigade. As Rob indicates, the non "6" cap badge was worn during this period.
Old 04-12-08, 06:38 PM

The Ft. Garry Horse looks to be the same as Mazeas's C50 "1922"-pattern badge, as opposed to his C50a (current) scroll type. (By the way, I suspect Maz. may have an error here, as Thompson says the C50a pattern dates from 1922.)

How do you date your particular badge accurately to 1915-1918 rather than to just anytime before 1922?

The Ft. Garry Horse museum site, linked here, shows what they say is the "as worn" WWI badge. Although not a great pic., this is a dark, coppery-bronze bi-metal badge rather than bright gold. Would this dark finish be more consistent with WWI-issue badges or would they be all over the materials/finished map like some others?
Old 04-12-08, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Reference to DavidS's post. Similar Fort Garry badges are illustrated in Taboika's Military Antiques and Collectables of the Great War. p 80-81