British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-11-08, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default What is the story on this Black Watch badge?

This Royal Highlanders of Canada badge came along recently. Heavy badge, maybe cast brass. Darkened. Good quality construction. I am stumped by it. Anyone have an explanation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010119.jpg (72.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg P1010120.jpg (41.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 23-11-08, 09:40 AM

Well it's WW2 patt., brass or is it coper? is not realy normal for that time, becase the have for the khaki tam o' shanter the red hackle. cane it be post WW2 and before '53 when the Q-came on the badges. Becase the rest of the badges abouth that time(WW2) is white metal of the R.H.C., that is what I now.

Gr. Hans
Old 23-11-08, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Hans. The badge is similar to the 1930 authorized pattern, but when compared to the white metal badges, this one is a different die. It is darkened brass. This is the question, it is the 1930 type, but it should be white metal.
Old 24-11-08, 01:13 AM

Bill,

I think you mean the 1939 version as the RHC only became the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada in 1935. The 1930 version is the badge where the crown occupies the entire top point of the badge...

In any case, nice to see this badge we had spoken about earlier. Are you certain it is bronze/brass and not a finish applied over a white metal badge?

I've seen a couple QC badges in bronze. These are thought to be trial patterns of some sort. As far as I know, no KC or QC badges with a bronze finish were ever worn.

I would have guessed it was made for a plaque or some kind of presentation piece, but it's strange that they bothered to add lugs if this were the case.

I have encountered what appear to be some one-offs over the years, including a QC officer's badge in what appeared to be aluminum, with screw post mountings.

Near as I can figure these are prototypes or trial strikes of some sort.

An interesting one.

Adam
Old 24-11-08, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for catching my error Adam. I corrected it. A "scratch" test on the back of the badge appears to show solid brass. The lugs are the flat wire type, which are usually associated with badges made earlier in the 30's.
Old 27-11-09, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Bumping this back to the top. Does anyone have any ideas about the provenance of this badge?
Old 27-11-09, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Bumping this back to the top. Does anyone have any ideas about the provenance of this badge?
Ok Mr Bill I'll Play First CPT Adam made a good assumption.

I've seen all the WW I and II your Back of the badge in which I can't see clear but can make out this Badge is Full looks like the hole Bage is.
As you stated It's Heavy. Looks like Yellow Brass on the Pictures that I can see, But could be Bronze. And you see White Metal??

I love that Old darken look the Badge has, Clean a little of the Back.

I've seen these on Award Plaques in wood, they leave the lugs in order to set it on the holes they prepared on the Plaque and Attach it to the Back.

I also see at the Bottom of the Badge on each Side small holes
Those I never seen A Bottom like that on any WW I and WW II Badges.

But could be used as Support holes for the Badge when mounted on a Award Plaque.

Just A thought MR. Bill