British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-08, 04:48 PM

Default Yorkshire Recce

Don't know if its in the right category but here it is. Center of spear removed to facilitate rose allegedly by REME workshops.Comments welcome don't know much about this unit, Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REC1.jpg (15.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg REC2.jpg (12.0 KB, 113 views)
Old 16-11-08, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sean,

A much better candidate for being genuine than the ones with the overlaid rose. The rose you show is the same as the ones in one of the designs of KOYLI cap badges which was presumably the source for these rose badges. However dating an unofficial modification is very hard.

Alan
Old 16-11-08, 05:30 PM

Smile Yorkshire Recce badge

I have had both varieties of this badge, one with the rose soldered into the spear which is a very neat job and obviously carried out by a craftsman of considerable skill and one with the rose superimposed.

K&K vol II state that the rose is "superimposed", however I got rid if my superimposed badge as I could see that this was far too easy to fake, simply by soldering a rose from a KOYLI or Y&L cap badge over a white metal RECCE badge. Whether this was a wise move or not, I am still wondering.

I spoke to someone at an arms fair about this after I had got rid of the superimposed variety to a dealer who was keen on this badge and they said that a former member of the Yorkshire RECCE told him that his badge had the rose superimposed. So while some people took the trouble to get a neat job done, some were maybe content to have the rose just soldered on.

The dealer probably knew someone who wanted this badge and as I was not into collecting manufacturers variations at the time, I let it go. My feelings are the same as Alan's, there seems to be far more "superimposed" badges than the "spliced type", but it could have been a mistake on my part to let the badge go, you never stop learning in badge collecting which makes it so interesting.
Old 16-11-08, 07:16 PM

The majority other ranks badges had the white metal rose cut into the christmas tree as the first illustration. Genuine badges do exist with a superimposed badge however though in much smaller quantities (that is if you ignore the repros). The officers and NCO`s however seem to have superimposed roses. The NCO`s were permitted to wear a brass rose (being a Yorkshire regiment this would have been to close too a red rose of Lancashire to be comfortable) possibly worn to distinguish them from OR. The rose was the same size however. The officers badge i have is bronze with a smaller silver rose pinned through the back.

Cheers, Dave
Old 16-11-08, 11:37 PM

Unhappy Yorkshire RECCE

Well Dave,
You sure have given me food for thought on this one, I bought the superimposed rose first, saw others around at fairs etc. and thought, (with a good deal of experience) that maybe this badge is not 100% real.

Acquired the nicely crafted cut-in variety and decided to put the superimposed badge on my spares card, first time round at a large local fair, the dealer, who I had known for years, took this badge and around a dozen others in a part exchange. This was over twenty years ago, and with your knowledge which is now passed on, I am wondering whether I exchanged a good NCO's badge for something else'
Old 29-12-08, 07:42 PM

Default 49th Div Recce Corps

Am i missing something here? Bosley Buywize has listed what looks to be a standard Yorks Recce Corps badge worth in my opinion around £60 on a good day, what am i missing as he does not usually drop clangers!

Reconnaissance Corps (49th West Riding) WW2 beret badge.
A fine and rare die struck white metal example. Upright spear supported by lightning bolts with the Yorkshire Rose to the centre; across the base, a scroll inscribed “Reconnaissance Corps”. Two loops to reverse. VGC
Code: 1014854Price: £475.00

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/shop.php

If its correct, anyone want to but a couple of yorks recce corps badges for £400 each?
Old 29-12-08, 09:15 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Am i missing something here? Bosley Buywize has listed what looks to be a standard Yorks Recce Corps badge worth in my opinion around £60 on a good day, what am i missing as he does not usually drop clangers!

Reconnaissance Corps (49th West Riding) WW2 beret badge.
A fine and rare die struck white metal example. Upright spear supported by lightning bolts with the Yorkshire Rose to the centre; across the base, a scroll inscribed “Reconnaissance Corps”. Two loops to reverse. VGC
Code: 1014854Price: £475.00

http://www.buywyze.com/shop/shop.php

If its correct, anyone want to but a couple of yorks recce corps badges for £400 each?
Why not sell them using their Euro exchange rate, you could charge 700UK pounds.......... very nice badge at that price
Old 30-12-08, 09:37 AM
Badge Guru

Mr Wright is sadly right. Sell it on eBay Europe, charge Euros make more money. It is even acceptable to charge 10 Euro for postage. If you charged 10 pounds on eBay UK buyers would want your blood!
Old 30-12-08, 05:07 PM

Cool Badge prices

As I said in an earlier thread somewhere, people with spare cash are putting it into good badges and who can blame them. Having looked at a few of the pages of buywyze, it amazes me the amount of badges with "sold" beside them. But I must say I agree with Deejavuu, the price is a bit excessive.
Old 30-12-08, 06:28 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
As I said in an earlier thread somewhere, people with spare cash are putting it into good badges and who can blame them. Having looked at a few of the pages of buywyze, it amazes me the amount of badges with "sold" beside them. But I must say I agree with Deejavuu, the price is a bit excessive.
I assume that you do realise that the point I was making is that their exchange
rate conversion makes the badge - to me in Euro's - 760E which at the current
exchange rate is over 700ukp and not 475ukp......... That does make it
(in Euro's at least) excessively expensive.
Old 30-12-08, 10:02 PM

Smile 49th Div RECCE

I realise that the pound is on a par, or almost with the Euro, we could all speculate what things would make, but this badge has not sold yet despite being priced at £475 never mind about the Euros. As deejayuu says, it would normally make £60-75 on a good day so I think someones being optomistic.
I think I paid £5 for mine which is a far more attractive price!
Old 30-12-08, 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Confirms one thing however, i have not lost my sanity. was begining to think it was an exceptionally scarce badge but for the life of me i could not see why? If Steve Bosley is sellin an OR ranks badge for this money what would he put an NCO`s or officers bronze for? Will have to lock away the family jewels methinks.
Kind regards, Dave
Old 21-07-10, 11:20 PM

I've been asked to post these for a friend. Not my period or interest so thumbs up or down please. Regards, Paul.
P1020789.jpg

P1020788.jpg

P1020791.jpg

P1020790.jpg
Old 22-07-10, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I've been asked to post these for a friend. Not my period or interest so thumbs up or down please. Regards, Paul.
Attachment 27659

Attachment 27660

Attachment 27661

Attachment 27662
First badge definately gets my thumbs down, the thinner center spear underneath the scroll is not a good sign. The spear should have an even thickness.
My original gilding metal lugged version has different lugs without feet, these both have 'the feet', which doesn't bid well for both of them.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.

Last edited by fougasse1940; 22-07-10 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22-07-10, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your thoughts fougasse1940.
Not looking good then. Anyone else have any thoughts? Regards, Paul.