British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-14, 01:14 PM

Default Giles in Germany

This has never been published in any of the Giles albums of the period. Does any Giles fan have the complete image (it was torn because the owner of the paper wanted to keep an article on the liberation of Nordhausen Concentration Camp printed on the reverse).
Giles in Germany_Late Apr 45.jpg
Old 16-08-14, 03:21 PM

Pre RAFP white cap which I think came into use 1945. Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 16-08-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 16-08-14, 05:06 PM

Default Giles

Mike,

I have been through my copy of the Giles annual published by the Daily Express which consists of cartoons produced during the latter years of WWII and this particular cartoon does not appear in it.

I believe Giles also did cartoons for "Reynolds News", so it may have appeared in this publication.

Rob
Old 16-08-14, 06:14 PM

Default Giles

Dear Mike, Looking at the faint letters showing through from the other side, I would say it was from the Daily Express of that period. Going back in history the Giles copyright belonged to the Express Newspapers. Hope this is of help.
Kindest regards
Harry Wynne.
Old 16-08-14, 06:30 PM

Apologies - I should have added that it was published in the Daily Express sometime very shortly after 18 Apr 45 and definitely before 8 May 45. The War was still being fought. Mike
Old 18-08-14, 05:00 PM

Default Ask, and ye shall receive ...

Afternoon chaps

A (rare) spot of housekeeping unearthed one of my boxes of Giles books/annuals. As it had already been established that this cartoon had not been published in contemporary collections I took a punt and found it in "The Giles VE-Day Collection" (Pub. Exeter: Pedigree Books 1995) "With Giles in Germany April 19th 1945".

Enjoy

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img319b.jpg (116.4 KB, 38 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 18-08-14, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Afternoon chaps

A (rare) spot of housekeeping unearthed one of my boxes of Giles books/annuals. As it had already been established that this cartoon had not been published in contemporary collections I took a punt and found it in "The Giles VE-Day Collection" (Pub. Exeter: Pedigree Books 1995) "With Giles in Germany April 19th 1945".

Enjoy

Graham
Graham, Outstanding - thank you very much. The inference I suppose being that the three Dutch kids are so attracted by a hand-out of NAAFI sweets that they have followed the unit into Germany. I must now find a copy of the book that you have. Mike
Old 18-08-14, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I must now find a copy of the book that you have. Mike
No worries Mike, glad to help. If you have trouble sourcing the book I do have a spare copy I might part with as I no longer collect "Giles" (largely because I have most of them - including the ultra-rare Danish issue of the first collection).

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.