British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-08, 07:06 PM

Default North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry Price Request

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what the going rate would be for a good quality North of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry cap badge and an Irish Horse Imperial Yeomanry cap badge?

Cheers

Sean
Old 08-10-08, 12:14 AM

Sean

here is what I have noticed in recent years (a rough guide and the range shown encompasses what dealers ask for them and what they have tended to make at auction)

North of Ireland IY other ranks WM forage cap badge 125 - 175 GBP
as above but full dress badge - have not seen one recently.

29th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry (Irish Horse) Brass O/R 120 - 160
As above silver - not seen one recently expect to add 100 + to the cost of the brass.

The following 3 had their own cap badges and are very rare, some came up in Bosleys postal auctions in the last 4 years but I do not have the prices realised.

45th (Dublin, Royal Irish Hunt) Company
74th (Dublin) Company
61st (South Irish Horse (Dublin)) Company

Other companies of Irish note are, (somewhere I have general notes on what they are thought to have worn but I cannot find them at the moment)

46th (Belfast) Company
54th (Belfast) Company
60th (North Irish Horse (Belfast)) Company
99th (Irish) Company

Finally to round out the post for now expect to pay between 200 - 270 for a South of Ireland IY O/R badge

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 08-10-08 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-10-08, 08:07 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Sean

here is what I have noticed in recent years (a rough guide and the range shown encompasses what dealers ask for them and what they have tended to make at auction)

North of Ireland IY other ranks WM forage cap badge 125 - 175 GBP
as above but full dress badge - have not seen one recently.
Finally to round out the post for now expect to pay between 200 - 270 for a South of Ireland IY O/R badge

John
Just to comment on the FD North of Ireland IY price. The one I sold at Wallis & Wallis in 1992/3 (I seem to recall) made around 180. If anyone has the W&W catalogue's for around this period, there was a whole section of badges from me. Wish I hadn't of course....
Old 08-10-08, 06:34 PM

Greetings John,

Many thanks for your time and expertise in replying to my query. It was extremely informative and very helpful!

I asked the price because I have been offered an NIIY and an IH badge for £85.00 and £100 respectatively, both other ranks, but I have not handled them personally although the scans I have of them are good and from what I can see I am happy. However with all things handling the actual goods says a lot.

I am either getting a bargain or at worse giving away £185.00!! Having said that I am happy with the seller as he has some other nice genuine badges I can confirm authenticity on. There is also a money back guarantee so I suppose I can't loose - right

Which leads me to one more question which will satisfy my slight uncertainty- does anyone know or can confirm where were the lugs sit on an original/genuine other ranks IH badge?

Thank-you

Sean
Old 08-10-08, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Just to comment on the FD North of Ireland IY price. The one I sold at Wallis & Wallis in 1992/3 (I seem to recall) made around 180. If anyone has the W&W catalogue's for around this period, there was a whole section of badges from me. Wish I hadn't of course....

Hi "wright241",

Pity about selling the badge, was it a case of rush in haste repent at leisure? - I have been trying to get a nice genuine one for a while - no shortage of the restrike c**p though.

Unfortunately when you do come across an apparently genuine badge there is always that niggling thought in the back of your mind - " is it restrike".

I'll keep hunting though - I'll appreciate it more when I do get a "good yin!

Sean.
Old 08-10-08, 09:20 PM

Sean

I personally ( as a result of learnings over the last 2 years) would only buy a 29th Bn IY badge if it had 4 loops.

I am afraid I do not have any pictures of the back of a genuine item. If the one you have been offered has only 2 be very careful.

John

I posted on another thread after this on the need for adding perspective and/or references to an opinion on a question about badges, I then realised that I did not do so here. Thus my reasoning for the 4 loop comment is that Bosleys only ever seem to offer the version with 4 loops, the many examples on e-bay from those sellers that I personally deem to be crooks or ignorant offer versions with two loops. My own example bought in 1987 with two loops I have since found out came from an un-trustworthy source.

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 09-10-08 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added psotscript.
Old 09-10-08, 08:39 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Blacker View Post
Greetings John,

Many thanks for your time and expertise in replying to my query. It was extremely informative and very helpful!

I asked the price because I have been offered an NIIY and an IH badge for £85.00 and £100 respectatively, both other ranks, but I have not handled them personally although the scans I have of them are good and from what I can see I am happy. However with all things handling the actual goods says a lot.

I am either getting a bargain or at worse giving away £185.00!! Having said that I am happy with the seller as he has some other nice genuine badges I can confirm authenticity on. There is also a money back guarantee so I suppose I can't loose - right

Which leads me to one more question which will satisfy my slight uncertainty- does anyone know or can confirm where were the lugs sit on an original/genuine other ranks IH badge?

Thank-you

Sean
Just to comment on what JohnMc mentioned about lugs/fittings. The one I had definitely had more than 2. Before I bought it, I had already seen the one they had at the Waring St museum, so I knew what to expect.
(it came from W&W originally anyway - I think it was about 70ukp in the late 70's/early 80's).
Unfortunately, I have "lost" the original pictures due to various PC crashes over the last 20 years - however, if you can track down the W&W sale catalog, all of the badges that I sold (predominantly Irish or Cavalry related) were in a special section in their auction - from memory it was early 1993 -
and they had pictures of most of them. One key item in the sale was a Royal SOUTH Down militia officers shako - this might help tie down the sale - and a comment I passed onto W&W was that the museum didn't have this particular badge.
david
Old 09-10-08, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Sean

I personally ( as a result of learnings over the last 2 years) would only buy a 29th Bn IY badge if it had 4 loops.

I am afraid I do not have any pictures of the back of a genuine item. If the one you have been offered has only 2 be very careful.

John

I posted on another thread after this on the need for adding perspective and/or references to an opinion on a question about badges, I then realised that I did not do so here. Thus my reasoning for the 4 loop comment is that Bosleys only ever seem to offer the version with 4 loops, the many examples on e-bay from those sellers that I personally deem to be crooks or ignorant offer versions with two loops. My own example bought in 1987 with two loops I have since found out came from an un-trustworthy source.
Hi John,

The one I have been offered has only two loops but their position made me suspicious.

I think it is probably a case of too good to be true.

It looks like I'll have to spend a few more pennies for a genuine one!

Thank-you for your time, effort and help, I learn more each day thanks to collectors such as your self and this forum!

Cheers
Sean.
Old 09-10-08, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Just to comment on what JohnMc mentioned about lugs/fittings. The one I had definitely had more than 2. Before I bought it, I had already seen the one they had at the Waring St museum, so I knew what to expect.
(it came from W&W originally anyway - I think it was about 70ukp in the late 70's/early 80's).
Unfortunately, I have "lost" the original pictures due to various PC crashes over the last 20 years - however, if you can track down the W&W sale catalog, all of the badges that I sold (predominantly Irish or Cavalry related) were in a special section in their auction - from memory it was early 1993 -
and they had pictures of most of them. One key item in the sale was a Royal SOUTH Down militia officers shako - this might help tie down the sale - and a comment I passed onto W&W was that the museum didn't have this particular badge.
david
Hi David,

Thanks-you for the info - the badge I have been offered has two loops so I'll pass on that one but I think it may be more ignorance on the seller than trying to cheat.

It is very possible that it is one of those restrikes which has been around for so many years it has "grown" a "providence" as to being genuine.

As I said in my post to John - I'll save some more pennies and try find an original one!

Many thanks for your time and effort in replying to my questions...

Cheers
Sean
Old 16-11-08, 12:44 PM

Default Nih

You might find these photos of interest, Nih imperial NIH regiment-ally chromed, and notice the voiding at the right junction of harp and scroll. Cheers Sean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NH 20.jpg (14.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg nih front.jpg (16.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg nih back.jpg (18.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg nh front.jpg (19.2 KB, 43 views)