British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-14, 02:31 PM

Default Momento from Goes Holland December 1944

A friend has a ceramic plague which is the arms of the Town of Goes in Holland .On the back is hand written " A present from------- 5th December 1944" and then there are a number of signatures.

Any suggestions as to what this might commemorate would be much appreciated.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goes plaque front.jpg (61.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg goes plaque back.jpg (68.8 KB, 49 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-02-14, 03:54 PM

Well Peter, the city of Goes was liberated by the Black Watch of Canada (5th Brig/2nd Canadian Inf.Div.) on the 29th of October 1944.....as per the Victory Campaign by C.P.Stacey.
Could be gift/souvenir to the liberators of the city......and the signatures could be those of the mayor and other personalities of the city........

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 07-02-14, 04:12 PM

Sorry, I can not read all of it. But the names there are definitely Dutch. The family name Kole is from the region IIRC.

This is the regional historical museum. They might be able to help you and also might be interested:
http://www.historischmuseumdebevelanden.nl/index.html
And I found an e-mail address there: info@hmdb.nl

I have no doubt you can mail them in English

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 07-02-14, 04:16 PM

Jo,

Many thanks, that is just the thing of thing that I thought might be the story behind the plaque especially as the inscription is in English.

If only it was possible to prove it was presented to the Black Watch of Canada.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-02-14, 04:18 PM

Henk,

Thanks ,I had not seen your post when I replied to Jo.

My friend did try and E mail someone in the Town but received no response, I will forward this information to them and I am sure they will try again.

Regards

Peter

Old 07-02-14, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Jo,

Many thanks, that is just the thing of thing that I thought might be the story behind the plaque especially as the inscription is in English.

If only it was possible to prove it was presented to the Black Watch of Canada.

Regards

Peter
Peter,can't help you about the possible presentation to the Black Watch as, by the 1st of November all Canadian infantry units had left the Causeway and were en route for rest somewhere in Northern France........
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Last edited by Voltigeur; 07-02-14 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 07:17 PM

Please put up a good scan of the writing on the back.
The first two people on the left got married on Sept 27, 1928 in the village of Kloetinge.
He was Christiaan Kole (27 years), she Dina Blomaard (22 years).
He traded in coal.
Both passed away in 1976 and were buried in Kloetinge.
It could be a personal gift from a family.

Last edited by btns; 07-02-14 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-02-14, 08:00 PM

Kloetinge's small war memorial:

http://nl.tracesofwar.com/artikel/59...-Kloetinge.htm
Old 07-02-14, 09:20 PM

Thanks Btns,

I have posted the only picture I have, I will ask for a better scan and post that.

Peter

Old 07-02-14, 10:17 PM

The other names "Kole" may be their children.
Bettie is Elisabeth Cornelia, born August 1931.
My guess is that it is a farewell present from the Kole family to their billeted soldier.

This article in Dutch has the daughter of a British commando looking for the family her father was billeted at.
http://www.pzc.nl/regio/bevelanden/d...land-1.4059768
Old 07-02-14, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
The other names "Kole" may be their children.
Bettie is Elisabeth Cornelia, born August 1931.
My guess is that it is a farewell present from the Kole family to their billeted soldier.

This article in Dutch has the daughter of a British commando looking for the family her father was billeted at.
http://www.pzc.nl/regio/bevelanden/d...land-1.4059768
with Google Translator;
What family in Kamperland received in 1944 the British commando George Francis Harris from Newcastle - upon- Tyne ? This inquiry from Eileen Harris, daughter of the man who was involved with No.4 Commando in 1944 with the landing of the Allied forces in Vlissingen , the prelude to the liberation of Zeeland.

Harris, deceased in 1992, brought her after the war for a time visits to the family where he was housed .

He came for the last time in 1984 , the fortieth anniversary at the Landing Monument to the Oranjedijk in Vlissingen , the image of the command where Harris as his daughter was so proud . But contact with "his" Zeeland family" has not had her father when , you know Eileen . " When I asked him , he said, just sad that it was ' too late ' ," she says. Eileen Harris wants to come to Flushing for the seventieth anniversary of the landing in 2014. "I think it would be great to meet someone who has taken care of my father 's family. My father had so much respect for them . "

Old 07-02-14, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
Private Dicaire of the Régiment de Maisonneuve was the only soldier killed in the capture of Kloetinge in October 1944........he was 23 years old.....

Jo

Old 08-02-14, 07:15 AM

Gentlemen,

Superb, many, many thanks for your research.

Peter

Old 16-02-14, 11:45 AM

I am sorry I couldn't contribute more to this thread being away skiing for a week. But I assume most is said (translated)) already. When not, please ask. I may be able to lower the language barrier.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages