British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-14, 08:36 PM

Default Some kind of Hampden esquadron commemorative badge?

Hi all,

I just found this piece and I would like to know does any of you know what it is and what for it was issued? I presume it is some kind of commemorative badge for Hampden squadron? Any ideas guys?

Thanking you in advance!

Timo

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 02-02-14, 08:49 PM

Interesting badge ? the bottom design part looks like an anchor - were Hampdens used in coastal Command unit ??

The badge to me has a very US feel to it and with the star emblem on the planes wing - is this a souvenier badge from when the RAF units were been trained in America ? MAYBE not a plane but a place , there is a Hampden in the US . - just thinking out loud nice badge
Old 02-02-14, 09:16 PM

Good point NEMO!

Here is a scan of the reverse - really odd construction anyway. Badge is quit high - height is 58 mm.

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 02-02-14, 09:20 PM

Curious an curious said Alice ........

some one on here will know for sure .
Old 02-02-14, 09:41 PM

Default Hampdenski

Astonishingly some Hampdens were supplied to the Soviet Union - which would account for the star on the aircraft depicted. I'm sure that none were offered to or would have been accepted by the US Army Air Corps. Two RAF Hampden squadrons, 144 and 455 in the torpedo-bombing role operated out of western Russia in 1942/43 and on completion of their mission the surviving 14 serviceable aircraft were handed over the Russians. Hence the badge - perhaps a "thank you" from our gallant Soviet allies? This must be an ultra-rare badge.
Old 03-02-14, 05:06 PM

Check out these sold on eBay last October: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-SET-o...-/121188835151 There's also stuff about a Spitfire badge on this forum: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...Spitfire-badge
David

Last edited by David Tremain; 03-02-14 at 05:09 PM. Reason: changed some of original wording; added new information