British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-14, 04:10 PM

Default Forewarned?

This map is from National Geographic for August 1943 (Volume LXXXXIV, No 2). I wonder if any of the German agents active in the US at the time read the caption to a map of Brittany and Normandy? The last sentence reads: "On this coast, Hitler's dreams of world conquest may be wrecked." If so, did they pass it on? Mike
19430801_Normandy.01.jpg
Old 22-01-14, 07:24 PM

The Germans may have seen it as misinformation or an attempt at diverting their attention from the Pas de Calais. This being where the allies deception plan was directing or reinforcing Hitler belief regarding the main invasion route.

However it would not surprise me if the N.G editors did not get a good dressing down by the government.
Old 22-01-14, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The Germans may have seen it as misinformation or an attempt at diverting their attention from the Pas de Calais. This being where the allies deception plan was directing or reinforcing Hitler belief regarding the main invasion route.

However it would not surprise me if the N.G editors did not get a good dressing down by the government.
Good points. I'm inclined to believe that the US censors were instructed to let it pass as being a form of double-bluff. The same article had quite extensive coverage of USAAF and RAF bombing of infrastructure targets on the Brittany and Normandy coasts. B-17s over Lorient , St Nazaire "Anglo-American Suicide Ship...." and RAF Bostons over Le Havre. Mike