British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-08, 04:10 AM

Default Short History of the 2nd Bn. RCR Pipe Band.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/2RCR/html/pipes_e.html

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 26-09-08, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting link Jo. I had the understanding that the band badge was also worn by the RCR band (as in not the pipe band)?
Old 26-09-08, 12:42 PM

There has also been some recent changes in the dress of the 2RCR Pipes & Drums. These include the wearing of a feather bonnet in full dress with an embroidered badge.
Old 26-09-08, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Interesting link Jo. I had the understanding that the band badge was also worn by the RCR band (as in not the pipe band)?
The RCR Band, when it existed as a Canadian Forces band (i.e., a collection of serving professional musicians in a separate units from the battalions of the Regiment) wore the issue regimental badge, not the one shown as the metal piper's badge
Old 26-09-08, 01:09 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

It's nice to see a band wearing the Shell. Ray
Old 26-09-08, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, To clarify, the badge illustrated on the 2 RCR site was/is only worn by the Pipe Band? Thompson's Cap Badges & Insignia of the Canadia Army 1953-1973 indicates that the badge was worn by the band. No indication of the type of band, or the time period. The band badge illustrated in the book is the earlier qc pattern, eg the brass and white metal type.

Last edited by Bill A; 26-09-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 26-09-08, 01:27 PM

Bill I can't help you on this. I'm also puzzled since I did not have any particular infos to supply.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Last edited by Voltigeur; 26-09-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 26-09-08, 09:59 PM

I don't have much to add to this thread except that the article is terribly written! Any chance the regimental Rogue can correct this as one of his pre-retirement projects?
Here are some photos taken at The RCR's Ottawa parade for it's 125th anniversary. The use of the regimental colours for the hackle is excellent and, probably, unique.

Old 26-09-08, 10:35 PM

Magnifiques photos Clive... felicitations.......encore d'autres.
Jo

Old 26-09-08, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Bullion wire badges! Excellent images Clive.
Old 27-09-08, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Mike, To clarify, the badge illustrated on the 2 RCR site was/is only worn by the Pipe Band? Thompson's Cap Badges & Insignia of the Canadia Army 1953-1973 indicates that the badge was worn by the band. No indication of the type of band, or the time period. The band badge illustrated in the book is the earlier qc pattern, eg the brass and white metal type.
Bill, I was in 2RCR in the early 80s when The RCR Band still existed and was housed in one of the buildings in the offices lines. They wore standard regimental accoutrements including the basic issued badge on berets and Wolseley helmets.. Only the 2RCR Pipes & Drums wore the pipers' badge with the annulus. I expect the 3RCR Pipes & Drums band did as well when it existed.

Mike
Old 27-09-08, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I don't have much to add to this thread except that the article is terribly written! Any chance the regimental Rogue can correct this as one of his pre-retirement projects?
As a matter of fact, Wednesday was my last day in the Regular Force with the expiration of my final leave pass. Thursday was my first day as an officer of the 4th Battalion.

Pro Patria

Mike
Old 27-09-08, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Bullion wire badges! Excellent images Clive.
Thank you. More photos from the MilArt photo Archives

Quote:
Magnifiques photos Clive... felicitations.......encore d'autres. Jo
Merci Jo, je vais telecharger d'autres demain.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Wednesday was my last day in the Regular Force with the expiration of my final leave pass. Thursday was my first day as an officer of the 4th Battalion. Mike
Congrats. We had spoken about this when you were in Ottawa for the parade. Are you on a Class B call-out or are you seeking civilian employment also?
Old 27-09-08, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Congrats. We had spoken about this when you were in Ottawa for the parade. Are you on a Class B call-out or are you seeking civilian employment also?
Clive,

I'm just taking things easy for a few months. There's lots of Class "A" employment if I want it, and there are a few people already trying to corner me into taking a full-time Class "B" call-outs. But I'm not quite ready to go back to 40+ hours per week at a desk any time soon.

Mike
Old 27-09-08, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats Mike, Make sure you set aside time for the web site! For some odd reason, retirement seems to mean less time to do what one wants.