British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-08, 03:33 PM

Default Pictou Hilanders or Imperial Seaforth Highlanders

As the title states....I have been inable to determine if this badge is for the Pictou Highlanders, or if it is an Imperial Seaforth Highlanders badge.

When I look at Mazeas book and lay the badge over the line drawing, it more closely follows that of the Imperial Seaforth Highlanders badge, in that the stag horns seem somewhat wider in the line drawing of the Imperial Seaforth badge, than that of the Pictou Highlanders.

Am I missing something in regards to these two badges?? Seems somewhat odd to me that the only difference in the two badges would be a slightly wider spacing of the horns at the top.

Also it is very noticable on this attached badge that there is some 'unfinished appearence" for lack of a better description, to the horn ends. It looks like when the badge was stamped, the die may have been a tad dull??

At any rate, fellows, comments as usual are very welcome. I would like to put this badge back into storage, but this time I would to know exactly what it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pictou or seafoths imperial 1.jpg (56.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg pictou or seafoths imperial 2.jpg (48.7 KB, 69 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 11-08-08, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

I should imagine that any UK dealer would tell you that its a pre 1958 British Seaforths badge and any Canadian dealer would tell you that it us a Pictou badge!

Alan
Old 11-08-08, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Cliff, I agree with Alan. The space between the antlers is likely wear and tear, and not a manufacturing difference. Two lugs is typical of WW2 era Canadian made badges (as opposed to the three found on imperial badges).
Old 11-08-08, 01:02 PM

Default Seaforth vs Pictou

As has been discussed in other threads, the Seaforth of Canada badge with the Leopold Cypher was the AUTHORIZED cap badges for the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. I purchased an Imperial/Pictou pattern a couple of years ago, and the vendor pointed out that it had the Scully mark on the reverse, therefore it is a Pictou Highlanders badge. In over 30 years of collecting to BC units, this is the only time I have seen this badge with the Scully mark. My point is, if the Pictou pattern is marked Scully, it is Pictou Highlanders, and not Seaforth.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 12-08-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Cliff, I agree with Alan. The space between the antlers is likely wear and tear, and not a manufacturing difference. Two lugs is typical of WW2 era Canadian made badges (as opposed to the three found on imperial badges).
The 2 lugs are also typical of the WW2 British Seaforth Highlanders badges as well I am afraid. The older ones had 3.

Alan
Old 11-08-08, 10:47 PM

Thanks guys, this sort of confirms what I thought, could be either. I think I will leave my displays as they are currently. I have the Stags Head with the Leopold Cypher displayed as a Second World War Seaforth Highlanders of Canada badge, and the I posted above, currently resides in a storage box of odds and ends.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 12-08-08, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Thanks guys, this sort of confirms what I thought, could be either. I think I will leave my displays as they are currently. I have the Stags Head with the Leopold Cypher displayed as a Second World War Seaforth Highlanders of Canada badge, and the I posted above, currently resides in a storage box of odds and ends.
Mazeas lists the Pictou badge as brass, and the Seaforth as WM. My brass 'Pictou' is a different die than the wm versions I have. The brass one's scroll is heavier and thicker-framed, lettering larger, deer head not as 'long in the face' and has brows and round eyes. Also more dimensional stamping; not nearly as flat looking as the wm badge. Neither badge is maker marked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seaforths.jpg (41.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 12-08-08, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Nice to see a photo of the brass version. It is probable that this is the source of the 'so-called 1916 economy Seaforth' badges in the UK.

thanks

Alan
Old 12-08-08, 08:52 PM

The Pipe band of the 25th battalion CEF also wore this badge in white metal on the glengarry and a similar badge with a seperate banner on the belt buckle the buckle being white metal. the cross belt plate which is brass also features a white metal stag head with a seperate banner but the banner reads "SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS".

Stephen
Old 03-07-10, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The 2 lugs are also typical of the WW2 British Seaforth Highlanders badges as well I am afraid. The older ones had 3.

Alan
On the WW2 British Seaforth Highlanders badges that had 2 lugs, where were the lugs typically located? I have seen 2 lug Seaforth badges with the lugs on the antlers, and I have seen some with the lugs on either end of the scroll. Is there an explanation for the difference?
Old 04-07-10, 05:15 AM

My best bet, gut feeling for a Pictou in white metal is Scully marked, with two lugs on the banner ends, or a brass, two lug badge.
Old 04-07-10, 04:36 PM

Hi Guys,

Is this one a Pictou Hldrs badge or something else?

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1150.jpg (101.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-07-10, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, Yes that is a Pictou Highlanders cap badge, as authorized by GO in 1923. At some later time, the Pictou's took the white metal stag's head into use, and that date has to be established.
Old 04-07-10, 08:50 PM

Bill,
I hoped that was what you'd say.
Once again, many thanks
Bill
Old 04-07-10, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
My best bet, gut feeling for a Pictou in white metal is Scully marked, with two lugs on the banner ends, or a brass, two lug badge.
Would I be correct to assume, then, that white metal, no Scully mark, and lugs on the antlers is most likely Imperial Seaforth?