British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-08, 09:41 PM

Default Calgary Highlanders Badge Variations

Hi all, I was looking at some of my collection today and was amazed at the number of variation of the Calgary Highlanders badge I have. I thought I'd post some picks along with some notes on each. as always, if there are additional examples which are different, please add them to my post.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calg1.JPG (27.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg calg2.JPG (68.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg calg3.JPG (48.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg calg4.JPG (46.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg calg5.JPG (42.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg calg6.JPG (42.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 27-07-08, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Greg, that one officer's badge looks very familiar?
Nice accumulation of badges. Why does the unit have so many varieties?
Old 27-07-08, 09:55 PM

Badge 1 is a cast brass them gilted and chased ORs? badge. If is a better quality than the standard ORs version. It is marked T.Miles, London on the back and I have never seen this maker before. In fact, aside from the officers OSD badge marked W.Scully Montreal, it is the only badge with a makers mark.

Badge 2 is a pipers/officers silver plated example. In this case it appears to be just a plated ORs issue. I have seen all silver versions, marked Sterling and W. Scully, Montreal, but I do not have one in my collection.

Badge 3 is a high quality cast badge with silver plated overlays. The lugs are thicker (officers quality?) and the overlays are pinned to the reverse. The badge is browned and laquered. It "feels" like an officers badge but I'm not sure.

Badge 4 is an officers OSD badge, marked W. Scully Montreal on the back. It is in bronze with frosted silver overlays which are pinned through the badge.

Badge 5 is an ORs version. White metal overlays are pinned through the badge but they are not wire, more like a rivet when when pressed together secures the overlay to the badge. The lugs are flat, have a tear drop shape and an odd square shoulder to them. I have several of this type so I guess this is a common version.

The next scans show the reverses and lug details.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calg7scully.JPG (63.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg calg8lug.JPG (67.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2811.jpg (47.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 27-07-08, 10:16 PM

Yes Bill, you'll always be my OBSD*

The standard finish on these badges seems to be a bronze colour with white metal silver overlays. Mint badges have a bronze paint applied to them which in many cases was completely removed by the soldiers. I don't think the badge was ever polished bright, but the vets didn't seem to like the brown paint. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

I didn't include collar badges but they are a miniature of the badge. They come in a OSD version and in sterling silver. There is a left and a right (the beavers face in) and the top banner says FIRST BATTALION. I have Kings and Queens crown versions including a matched set with Kings Crowns, push pins with clutch buttons and marked Balfour. As this is a contemporary maker so I'm not sure if this set is a reinacter set or maybe the regiment currently wears Kings Crown, First Battalion collar badges.

There "CH" shoulder titles and the CH on the oak leaf titles. Again, I hope someone can confirm which battalion wore the oakleave shoulder titles.

Cheers,

Greg

"officers badge suger daddy"
Old 27-07-08, 11:12 PM

Default A few more variants

...Still don't quite understand the brass and white metal version. Was this used by certain members. The Officers sterling badge is made by Gaunt and based on the Hallmark was made in Birmingham in 1943.

The officers collars are perhaps the nicest I own . The detail on these is incredible.

Dwayne

Old 27-07-08, 11:27 PM

NICE officers badge Dwayne The collars are SWEET!, I note that they do not say First Battn on them. A set I have does and the beavers are separately attached.

The 2nd badge is like a version I have. The brass one is a variation I don't think I have.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 01-08-08, 02:03 PM

Nice job fellas on the posting of these badges... the quality of the badges plus the quality of the photo's is a great help to the rest of us for reference. Plus it's nice to see what other collectors have. thanks for showing... Jim

Tags
calgary highlanders