British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-07-08, 10:57 PM

Default The Glenbow Museum - a few pics

Hi all, just back from holidays in Alberta, saw all the rellies but hit Calgary during Sampede, The traffic was so busy I couldn't make my annual pilgrimage to the Museum of the Regiments so I went to the Glenbow instead. I was surprised and mystified that they allowed flash photography pretty much anywhere except for some original artwork on the second floor. For anyone visiting Calgary, along with the MotR, it is a must see.

Anyway, I took tons of shots of the Japanese swords and Islamic weapons (some of my other passions) which you guys probably aren't that interested in and a few of some of the CEF badges on display. It is my understanding that the Edmonton museum and archives has a much more extensive collection of badges (can anyone from Alberta confirm this?) but I liked the 10 CEF officers uniform grouping and the rare 73 CEF officers badge.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2112.JPG (66.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2096-1.jpg (57.1 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by GregN; 19-09-10 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19-07-08, 12:41 AM
Banned

that 73rd is a trial badge not accepted on a reiche leaf very rare probably one of a kind or one of three or four made like most of the overlay pattern series one of those badges like the 7th battn numeral overlay that make this hobby virtually impossible to complete in any ones lifetime. Thanks for the pic
Old 19-07-08, 06:56 PM

Nice stuff.

Indeed the 73rd never wore anything like that as a glengarry badge. In fact, I've never seen any photographic evidence of them wearing the maple leaf type badge (other than the collars). Can't find it in any of the orders but think it's pretty certain that no variety of cap badge was accepted and worn, except for the Imperial-style Black Watch badge.

The one pictured is an interesting variant / prototype!

Tags
10 cef calgary