British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-08, 10:03 AM

Default Popski's Private Army

I wonder if anyone could help me to verify this PPA badge. It is hallmarked silver and numbered. Suspect that it was made post war for some sort of reunion. Any ideas ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSC_7924.JPG (79.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7922.JPG (79.2 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-07-08, 10:07 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default HM Silver Popski's Badge

I recall that Bosleys had one of these for sale fairly recently - this year or at the end of last year - and (I believe) it went for more than 1000. You might
want to try and get an image or at least try and find out the HM date.
I personally have only ever seen non-wartime issued badges and restrikes (they look as if they have been etched rather than cast or die-struck).
David
Old 09-07-08, 10:27 AM
peter616

The Popski badge was made in 1977 by the London Badge & Button Co. They were made supposedly for the veterans who were still alive & only 100 were to be made but you can clearly see this one says 117. The badge itself is not worth a great deal, may be £30 or £40. The one that went through Bosley's was an unmarked, cast-silver variation that was made in North Africa & was grossly overpriced.
Old 09-07-08, 03:54 PM
David Douglas

Default Popski's etc.

Peter is absolutely right. However, the hallmark on your badge IS Birmingham 1977 which brings it into line with the so called 'veterans' striking. The highest numbered veterans badge I have seen was number 143 so, presumably, more than the planned 100 were struck - yours being another example of that. The unit was very small indeed and accoutrements were few and far between. Hugh King had 2 variants of the original badge (one was die struck, the other rough (North African) cast. Bill Dear's collection, sold in the mid 1970s had one die struck example. The badges which seem to command the highest price at auction these days are the rough cast versions - I know of no die struck examples appearing in a salreoom in recent years. If one did, it would be interesting to see what it made. Regards. David
Old 09-07-08, 06:25 PM

Default natal01

Thanks very much for the info. I guess that an original issue badge is probably out of reach. At least this one is nicely made and will fill a gap until a "real" one comes along.
Old 09-07-08, 07:52 PM

Hi All,

Thought this might be of interest. In Popskis book, it says he based the badge design on a book plate he owned of an astrolobe."I took my book plate to a jewish silversmith off the Shareh El Manakh and got him to cut in brass a reduced and simplified design..........the first badges were cut and engraved by hand; they turned out rather too equisite for the roughness of our manners; later we had a die cut and made the badges of silver, which takes the stamp better than brass." quote Vladimir Peniakoff (Popski)

Later in the war, he states, the badges were made by a silversmith in Rome.

There can't have been many produced. The original unit was made up of 5 officers, 3 NCOs & 15 privates.

Just thought it was topical.

Will

Last edited by Diehard; 09-07-08 at 07:53 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-07-08, 08:12 PM

Can I just recommend" Popski`s Private Army " to anyone who has not read the book,it is great read and what an unlikely hero he was.

P.B.

I wonder what happened to the die ?

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-07-08, 08:16 PM

5 officers, 3 NCOs & 15 privates.

More like Popski's Private Squad

Cheers, Michael
Old 09-07-08, 08:19 PM

Default Popski's Private Army

P.B,

I second that, one of the best regimental histories I've read - its got lots of detail you don't get in the more general histories. He must have been a real character.

Will
Old 10-07-08, 09:10 AM

Default Popski-MHS-Badges

Nice little piece from the MHS Bulletin No1 of August 1950 when Popski applied for membership.

I wonder how many people actully did write to him asking for a badge.

P.B/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7295.jpg (17.5 KB, 83 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 12-07-08, 02:39 AM

I believe this to be a genuine one ....... Peter Taylor seems happy with it at least.
Old 10-09-08, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Nice little piece from the MHS Bulletin No1 of August 1950 when Popski applied for membership.

I wonder how many people actully did write to him asking for a badge.

P.B/
Sadly, not many people would have had the chance to write to him and get a reply, since he died about 6 months after the MHS Bulletin was sent out.
Shame he died so soon after the end of the victory he helped to fight for.
Old 27-11-10, 10:03 PM
martin gregory

Thumbs up hallmark

hi, i know of two original PPA silver die struck badges which were hallmarked by the Cairo assay office (set up by the british) there are 3 parts to the hallmark.
1st indicates cairo and silver purity, 2nd is the cat for egypt and the third is an arabic letter corresponding to the date. i'd also highly recommend popski's book, 1953 printing from £4 on amazon. hope this is of interest, martin