British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-07-08, 07:28 PM

Default Regimental/divisional flash questions

I've been looking for a Westminster shoulder flash for some time to add to a badge frame. So far I've had lots of 'don't have one at the moment' at shows, etc., and this is the 1st I've seen on eBay in forever. Can anyone tell me if this is a WW2 flash? Auction 380043453899

Also, Marway has a 'Veteran's Guard divisional patch' listed: item 280242490899. I've asked this question before on the Canuck site, but maybe I'll get something new here. I had read/heard rumours/dreamed up (?) that the Canadian regiments (Veterans Guards, Pictou Hgh'rs) that went to British Guiana/Caribbean wore a yellow flash like this, but there was no photo or written evidence substantiating that, and all replies on the Canuck site said as much. Anyone have hands-on support that this patch was actually worn, or is it a conjectural piece?
Old 05-07-08, 09:05 PM

Hello David, hoping you are doing ok. As for the Westminster flash it is to be yellow letters on royal blue. You can find this one, hopefully, embroidered and printed. The one shown is, if not mistaken, is for the CF uniform.
Regards
Jo
Old 05-07-08, 09:48 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Hi Dave
My Westminister embroidered title is gold lettering on very very very dark blue background, We say gold because we don't use the word yellow when we speak of the military.And how many times have you really seen yellow on military badges , what we are seeing is gold, but it's like the word (Skil) as soon as we get a power saw in our hands we say we have a skil saw. My canvas one is a used one but I could not say it is blue It is faded some and was sewn on a uniform at one time but I think I would have to say it was black . But that is so of many canvas titles one example being the North Shore while the embroidered one is blue.
The gold diamond looks good ,(in colour) Charles Edwards has it listed as the formation sign for Bermuda so I guess it was used in that whole area, He has it as being used by the Vereran's guard, and you will notice it is not yellow. The only thing about it that is a little suspicious is that it looks like it was cut out this morning, I know Marway is a reputable dealer & I would like to hear from him on that, Would anything from that far back look that fresh & have such sharp edges like that. Maybe Jamie can tell us more about it.because it would depend on how it was kept during that time I don't think I've seen more than three of these since I started collecting.( and no I don't have one) Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 06-07-08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 01:37 AM

Hi Ray, how's life on the Rock?. Concerning the colours of the flash I used the description by Donald J. Sexton's book in which he uses the term "yellow" so I went by that.
As for the gold diamond, I remember seeing a discussion in the canadiansoldiers.com forum a long time ago on that subject and even then the members did not seem to agree on this patch. As usual if BillA has something on this I'm sure he will let us know soon enough. All this to say I agree with you, Ray.
Regards
Jo
Old 06-07-08, 02:51 AM

Default Westminster titles

The variations of titles found range from blue to purple to dark blue ( almost black) The canvas variant should always be gold on blue. Dye varations could see noticeable colour differences...the 4th and 5th title are made by the same manufacturer...but notice the differences in colour.

Dwayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Westminster.jpg (64.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-07-08, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Hi David, I remember the discussion about the "Y" Force patch on Canuck. To date, there has not been any authorization or photo evidence found to support the existence of the yellow diamond. Y Force was spread out over a wide area of the Caribbean, and was several different taskings. The garrison duties in Bermuda were quite separate from guarding ore trans-shipment in British Guiana.
The patch is occaisionally found in melton (not felt which are obvious repro's). The example in my collection came from the son of a vet who had served in the Caribbean. However it was not clarified at the time if the patch was issue or was a souvenir or a reunion piece.
Old 06-07-08, 06:55 PM

I have never found any documented evidence of an authorized patch for "Y" Force. In addition, I have loked at several hundred photos of Canadians (mostly VGC) in Bermuda and all wear shirt-sleeve order and no patches of any sort. I also went through the War Diaries for 30, 31 and 32 Coys VGC and no mention was made of a patch. Nonetheless, I have included the patch in my second edition of Distinguishing Patches based on samples (purported to be from vets) and in the collections of knowledgeable collectors.
Old 06-07-08, 07:13 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Well here it is guys , argue over it also the North shore, (I said in my earlier post the NB Hussars but I have corrected that), I will leave it up to you to decide if the background is black or blue. But I have a question for you, Where can I find the site that will give me the roll of Canadian soldeirs in WWi & 2, I have the medals of this fellow & know nothing about him If there is any relatives around they can ceretainly have them. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canvas.jpg (75.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-07-08, 08:21 PM

Ray, what kind of informations are you looking for? I have a roll for the WW2 medal winners, can this help?.
Jo