British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-12, 06:35 PM

Default Great Grandfather -MM Research

Evening all,

Whilst doing some family research I discovered that my Great Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal at Passchendaele. This information came from the National Roll of the Great War and the address listed corresponds to the address I have for the family in the census.

This is where I am stuck because for the life of me I can't find an entry for Pte William Bell, Kings' Own Scottish Borderers in the London Gazette. Not helped by the fact I have no idea of which Battalion he was in nor do I have his regimental number.

I've tried family but as all my grandparents died ages ago no one can help. Can anyone pass on any tips as to how to progress?

Regards,

Griff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1918_roll-11-34_William Bell.jpg (98.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 25-04-12, 07:06 PM

Hello Griff,

There are about 19 William Bell's on the MIC's. Did he have a middle name?

Andy
Old 25-04-12, 07:55 PM

Andy,

Thanks for replying. No he didn't have a middle name. Bell is quite a popular surname in the borders as well. His address was 2 Swailes Street, Chorlton Upon Medlock, Manchester. Which is listed in the extract that I posted.

Thanks,

Griff
Old 25-04-12, 08:02 PM

Griff,

That might help. Have you tried the medal forum, they are up on this sort of thing.

Andy
Old 29-04-12, 11:19 AM

Only one William Bell won the M.M. as far as I can tell and he was;-
200864(fmly 3025)Pte William Bell, Loyal North Lancs Regt, (residing Preston?). A Territorial who won it while att'd to one of the Light Trench Mortar Batteries.

The M.M. wasn't Gazetted until 7th October 1918, but again nothing to worry about as some awards were well late.

Now from past experience you have to take the unit mentioned in the R.O.H.'s with a pinch of salt as neither they, nor the MIC's give details of units serving in while at home in the UK. So this could actually be your relative, unless of course the M.M. is actually the 'Medal Millitaire', the French equivalent.
Old 30-04-12, 04:54 PM

Andy/Graham,

Sorry for the delay in answering. Thanks for you comments I think that I still have some further research to do here!

Griff