British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-06-08, 08:27 PM

Default Hertfordshire Yeomanry

If wouldnt be too much to ask, would like to see some of the various Hertford Yeo. badges that members may care to post? Thanks!

CB
Old 01-07-08, 09:11 PM

Hi CB,
I've attached a scan of mine, the slidered cap badge will be replaced if & when I see one I really like, others are various collars, some worn as cap badges . If you look in the albums section, see Wilfs Yeomanry, & you'll see my Herts Imperial Yeomanry badge, it's a cracker, only it's missing the scarlet silk rosette !!! Can't be too fussy though !!! All the best, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img567.jpg (85.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 01-07-08, 09:24 PM

Very nice selection of a very handsome design of badge. BTW, what is wrong with the slidered one? Were these worn at the time when they were with the RA or did they wear the the gun badge?

CB
Old 01-07-08, 09:39 PM

Hi CB,
The slidered one is more like the Berkhamsted OTC, if you look at the water the Hart is standing in, it's different to the collars. As a Herts collector though, it stays in the drawer. I've seen some excellent postcards of the Herts RFA, wearing the Gun cap badge, but with the Yeomanry collars, a mate has them, I keep trying to buy them !!! If he relents one day, I'll scan some pics for you, all the best, Wilf.
Old 03-07-08, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Hi CB,
The slidered one is more like the Berkhamsted OTC, if you look at the water the Hart is standing in, it's different to the collars. As a Herts collector though, it stays in the drawer. I've seen some excellent postcards of the Herts RFA, wearing the Gun cap badge, but with the Yeomanry collars, a mate has them, I keep trying to buy them !!! If he relents one day, I'll scan some pics for you, all the best, Wilf.
Is that definitely Berkhamsted otc? The only info I can get regarding Berkhamsted is that they were part of the Inns of Court otc and wore their badge at one time. I see these particular Hart in water badges regularly referred to as the Herts Yeomanry or were the badges "interchangeable"?

CB
Old 03-07-08, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

It is not a badge that is in any refernce book or any other published source that I have ever seen. It has been produced by the usual ebay repro merchants and sold as a 1960s beds and herts Yeomanry badge. The a/a version was a different pattern. The Offrs badge MAY have been of this pattern and it may have been this one that has been reused as a fake ORs badge. I can find no photos of the Beds and Herts yeo to prove it.

Alan
Old 03-07-08, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

This is my collection.

1. An all brass one.

2. A different pattern of deer and water - broken left antler unfortunately.

3. Same pattern as 1. but in w/m that has been gilded and broached.

4. The suspect 'Beds and Herts' Yeo badge.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7030004.jpg (18.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P7030005.jpg (22.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg P7030006.jpg (20.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg P7030007.jpg (22.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-07-08, 05:46 PM

It is in cox, badge 1847, a contingent of the junior division OTC. Herts Yeomanry has a different shape to the water. But how reliable is Cox's book ???? Wilf.
Old 03-07-08, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Not very.

Alan
Old 03-07-08, 06:44 PM

Alan, Just looked in Churchill's collar badge book, look at page 84, fig 521, he shows this as being used as the cap for Berkhamsted school, looks like a match for the badge you show, nice badge you have there then - even with the broken antler !!!! Mine is off to the repro bin !!! all the best, Wilf.
Old 03-07-08, 07:33 PM

Well, very informative posts indeed! Are we to then take the "suspect badge" as an outright fake Herts yeomanry badge or a otc badge?

CB
Old 03-07-08, 08:36 PM

CB, I've been going through all my books, & the only one with the suspect badge so far is the Cox one, so it remains dodgy for me. The pic in Churchills book is the one for me as an OTC. Thanks for bringing up an interesting thread, all the best, Wilf.
Old 08-07-08, 04:47 PM

I decided to aquire one of these bum "Hertfordshire whatever it is" badges just for the heck of it to compare with my standard Yeomanry badge.
The example I have is one of the better quality badges I have ever seen.
The detail is nothing short of outstanding with the fur beautifully delineated and even the antlers are worked with their reverse flat. It is a heavy gilding metal strike. Whatever this badge may be, it most certainly is no shoddy restrike and its patina and overall quality raises more questions than answers. Why go through all the trouble to make a fake badge that is so good?

CB
Old 08-07-08, 06:19 PM

CB, Any chance of pics, front & back, cheers, Wilf.
Old 08-07-08, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

The sheer amount of these available shoudl cause alarm bells ringing. Genuine Yeomanry and OTC badges are very rare and certainly don't come up on ebay every single week of every month. They are well made I grant you but still repro.

To put it in perspective I have only ever seen one of the OTC badges shown before, 3 of the a/a Herts and Beds Yeomanry and 3 of the genuine 1908-1950s pattern brass Herts yeo badges on ebay in 5 years.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 08-07-08 at 07:10 PM.