British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-12, 10:12 AM
Former Member

Default This is a First! - For me anyway!

Having been a collector for 40 years(ish), this is the first OSD that I've seen marked in this way, i.e. on the blades!

I've no doubt the badge is genuine, it has all the characteristics of a "Lambourne" made item, i.e. not the best when it comes to detail and finesse.

Does anyone else have a badge marked in such a way?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (96.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1002.jpg (93.1 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1003.jpg (34.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 29-03-12, 10:51 AM

Hi Andy.

Greetings.

They are, I believe, scarce.

Here's a Middlesex OSD marked B&P on each bade, the only one I've seen, until yours came along.

DSC00272.jpg DSC00271.jpg

Regards

Brian
Old 29-03-12, 05:12 PM

There was a lot of these type of marked blades at Stratford last year I think it was, all different sorts of badges (OSD obviously)with various makers names, didn't like any of them I'm afraid.
Wilf.
Old 29-03-12, 06:07 PM
peter616

[QUOTE=orasot;161340]There was a lot of these type of marked blades at Stratford last year I think it was, all different sorts of badges (OSD obviously)with various makers names, didn't like any of them I'm afraid.
Wilf.

Yes Wilf there were some at the last Leeds fair to from the guy from blacpool say no more and andy your badge looks like a cast brass and heavily caked with brown paint and i am with Wilf on this didn't like any of them

peter

Last edited by peter616; 03-04-12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 29-03-12, 06:46 PM
Former Member

Oh well! Each to their own!

I like it and I also like Brian's

Andy
Old 30-03-12, 09:27 PM

Isn't the 'bronzing' just extremely heavily caked paint? Therefore worrisome?
Old 30-03-12, 10:37 PM

Not a badge i would have in my collection it looks awful imo

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 31-03-12, 07:31 AM
Former Member

I agree it is not the most attractive of badges, however it is typical of a Lambourne produced badge. I have no doubt whatsoever, that it is genuine and probably dates from the early 1900's? My guess is, that because the quality was so poor Officers opted to purchase from the better suppliers?

I cannot comment on Brian's example, however the makers mark and the signs of use on the one I have shown at the start of this thread are enough for me to to keep hold of it!

Thanks all for your contribution.

Andy
Old 31-03-12, 08:13 AM

Just an observation on the badge in the first thread.
The blades show no signs of being bent to put it on the cap or take it off again, any of the OSD badges I have come across, the blades show some degree distortion.
Just my two pence worth!
Cheers Tony.
Old 31-03-12, 09:08 AM

Default Never say Never . . !

I have never seen OSD badges with the makers name stamped on the blades, I know Lambourne made some pretty rough other ranks cap badges and shoulder titles during WWI, but I have never encountered officers badges before.

The "bronzing" looks like heavily caked paint to me as well and the blades don't seem to have had seen much service. With badge collecting you do see the odd strange badge, but when lots of similar strange badges appear at fairs it does set alarm bells ringing.

Just observations from threads and a few years of collecting experience, but if the people who have them are happy all well and good . . !

Rob
Old 31-03-12, 10:14 AM

Default "Bronzing"

Prompted by the term "bronzing" - my father (then Capt AD Corps) recalled that his shared Batman in Egypt in 1941 converted soldiers' AD Corps badges to "OSD" by the copious application of dark brown Kiwi polish and a match. I haven't put this to the test.
Old 31-03-12, 10:29 AM

Mike,

I have heard of that before and in fact K and K Vol.1 page 451 mentions using dark brown boot polish to add some colour where "much of the finish has been retained "

The most bizarre method I have heard of ( but never tried ) is suspending an osd badge over a dish of vinegar, after a couple of days the evaporating vinegar supposedly leaves a bronze colour deposit on the badge.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 31-03-12, 09:03 PM

Greetings.

Well I like my badge and I'm perfectly happy that is as Kosher as a gerfilte fish sandwich that has been sanctioned by the Rabbi in Stamford Hill.

As to Andy's badge, yes, I agree that it looks like it has been coated with paint or some other substance and that may be the case, but I don't think it should be written off as a wrong 'un.

As we all know, weird, wonderful, strange and various items do turn up from time to time.

And for all we know, this may be something as simple as, the badge was produced, somehow lost it's original bronzing and somebody then wanted it re bronzed and stuck whatever it is on it, on it.

I have several OSDs with various colours, shades and methods of bronzing.

Nothing is written in stone in this hobby.........nor in Bronze either.

Regards
Brian
Old 31-03-12, 09:37 PM
Former Member

Brian,

"Here, Here"

Like you I'll be keeping my badge, as I am 100 and 10% happy that it is a genuine and a "not often seen" example... I don't think the finish has been "touched Up" neither do I believe that, as the blades do not appear to have been bent more than once or twice that this is a "bad" sign, after all, the whole idea of OSD is that they did not require cleaning. So they would have been bought, fitted to the hat and then stayed there....

The whole purpose of starting this thread was not to authenticate the badge, but to see if anyone else had examples of similar marked badges! As there has only been one so far then I rest my case, that they are not common!

Thank you Brian for your contribution, there may have been as was described by Peter "There was a lot of these type of marked blades at Stratford last year I think it was, all different sorts of badges (OSD obviously)with various makers names, didn't like any of them I'm afraid."

Which is an endorsement I take with less than a pinch of salt, seeing as the contributor has IMO a less than poor street credibility anyway.

Sorry if this reply may seem a little arrogant, but I honestly believe these "Marked" blades are not as common as some would lead others to believe!

Andy
Old 31-03-12, 10:10 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Brian,

"Here, Here"

Like you I'll be keeping my badge, as I am 100 and 10% happy that it is a genuine and a "not often seen" example... I don't think the finish has been "touched Up" neither do I believe that, as the blades do not appear to have been bent more than once or twice that this is a "bad" sign, after all, the whole idea of OSD is that they did not require cleaning. So they would have been bought, fitted to the hat and then stayed there....

The whole purpose of starting this thread was not to authenticate the badge, but to see if anyone else had examples of similar marked badges! As there has only been one so far then I rest my case, that they are not common!

Thank you Brian for your contribution, there may have been as was described by Peter "There was a lot of these type of marked blades at Stratford last year I think it was, all different sorts of badges (OSD obviously)with various makers names, didn't like any of them I'm afraid."
Which is an endorsement I take with less than a pinch of salt, seeing as the contributor has IMO a less than poor street credibility anyway.

Sorry if this reply may seem a little arrogant, but I honestly believe these "Marked" blades are not as common as some would lead others to believe!

Andy

QUOTE=orasot;161340]There was a lot of these type of marked blades at Stratford last year I think it was, all different sorts of badges (OSD obviously)with various makers names, didn't like any of them I'm afraid.
Wilf.[/QUOTE]

Andy i did not say that it was Wilf and your badge is a cast copy

peter

Last edited by peter616; 04-04-12 at 06:05 AM.