British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-08, 02:38 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default Curious items

I wonder I someone out there has the time to describe the following items which are offered on ebay. One is the kings own Calgary with funny mismatched colours,# 150259367452, another is an ID patch whatever that is item # 380037604205 what is an ID patch and the last a Middlesex & Huron badge don't look like a cap badge but could be I suppose Item # 110262236420 any thoughts on it? Ray
Old 15-06-08, 03:56 PM

Hi Ray, I checked no.1 and this could be a badly beaten QC officer's badge (missing one screwpost). As for no.2 item, defenitevely not a canadian WW2 or postwar badge/insignia
at least known to me.
Cheers
Jo
Old 15-06-08, 05:52 PM

Default current KOCR

The King's Own Calgary is a modern QC version,which I think post-dates Thompson (hence, post-1973). It is shown on the Scully website (http://williamscully.ca/gallery2/mai...2_itemId=23233). If you want to know when it was used or if it still is, contact Calgary Museum of the Regiments http://www.themilitarymuseums.com/ma....php?page_id=8) as they are one of the 4 regiments with historians there.

As for the Middlesex & Hurons, I think the vendor may be bang on with his guess about it being a Chaplain's stole badge. Agnew was (is still in England?) a jewelry chain in my youth and this looks to me like a one-off private purchase.
Old 16-06-08, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the response Guys, I liked that Middlesex & Huron that's a beauty, Jo I wonder if that K's own CR is not missing more than the post I wonder if it is not missing a gilt scroll as well, Why would there be a gilt shield & a common brass scroll? I will try that site David. Ray
Old 20-06-08, 11:17 PM

The King's Own Calgary Regt badge is in fact an officer's cap badge that was worn during the 1980s and 1990s. A sample was submitted to the manufacturer - not sure if it was Scully or someone else - and the manufacturer produced an exact copy, at least as far as metal colours were concerned. Unfortunately, the sample was a badly tarnished and discoloured badge, and that is what the Regiment ended up with. There was no one in the regimental hierarchy who knew anything about the unit's badges so they simply accepted what the manufacturer provided. Thus are mistakes perpetuated. As a former CO of the Regiment, I was appalled when I saw the badges, but by then the mistake had been made and paid for and I was simply viewed as another old fart carping and complaining.
Old 20-06-08, 11:51 PM

Further to my response above, I had another look at the e-bay listing. The badge is supposed to be gilt with silver scroll and shield but the bottom scroll on this one is really corroded and discoloured. In any event, I would not recommend bidding on this particular item.
Wyn
Old 21-06-08, 02:31 AM

Am I stupid or just frigging blind??? The Kings Own Calgary Regiment Badge item 150259367452 Is NOT Kings Own Calgary Regiment. It IS a WWII version Calgary Regiment. The Crown is a kings crown yes but the Regiment at the time of this badge was the Calgary Regiment. The Kings Own Calgary Regiment came into being about 1949, post WWII.

The Kings Own Badge does not have the sunburst over the crown, and the scroll does in fact say, Kings Own Calgary Regiment. Again unless I am totally off base, the badge in this auction is simly a WWII era Calgary Regiment BAgde.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 21-06-08, 02:35 AM

Default Calgary Regiment

From my collection.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calgary Regiment (Large).jpg (69.3 KB, 20 views)

Old 21-06-08, 12:20 PM

Default Looks like a Kings own to me ..but another question

The badge on Ebay is certainly a Kings own....in rough shape. I have 2 different Calgary Regiment badges ...one with the metals reversed. I have heard one explanation but would like to get the input from the forum members as to any other ideas .

Dwayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calgary Regiment 1.jpg (65.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 21-06-08, 03:13 PM

Default I'm not insane.

OK Guys here is what happened. I somehow ended up at the following auction.....370060577904 . Here is the description, and the image. This is why tired people should not use the computer.

Description: N216 The King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC) Cap Badge

Excellent condition bimetal,solid hinges back clip is present

Then a long winded disclaimer about shipping, payments etc.

Here is the image of the badge that everyone else was talking about. Boy oh boy I'm stupid sometimes. LOL. Auction number 150259367452.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n216.jpg (33.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 7b93_1.jpg (13.5 KB, 15 views)

Old 21-06-08, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne H View Post
The badge on Ebay is certainly a Kings own....in rough shape. I have 2 different Calgary Regiment badges ...one with the metals reversed. I have heard one explanation but would like to get the input from the forum members as to any other ideas .

Dwayne
I didn't mean for this post to get lost so here I quote it.

Dwayne. Very nice selection of badges to the Calgary Regiment. I have heard the explaination of the reversal of the metals in the Calgary Regiment badge. I would have one in my collection, although the asking price for the one I saw was triple the price of an Irish Regt Officers Badge.

I suppose I should have copied it down but alas I didn't IIRC if found an explaination in the Kings Own website.

Old 21-06-08, 07:00 PM

I was told ( I forget by who ) that the Calgary Reg't changed to the predominantly white metal badge when they accepted an armoured role circa 1936. I've never dug into it further & can't really say if this is true or not.
Old 25-06-08, 12:23 AM

Thanks Pylon I thought I thought I was one of a kind here. By gosh Dwayne I don't know which one I like best. Ray