British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-12, 02:15 PM

Default For Sale:- ONE PIG !!!

Just in case anyone might be interested in owning one to put your badges in;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humber-Pig...item3f1394b912

"Rubber Bumpers" !!! ????? now I've seen it all, hahahahahahahaha
Old 12-02-12, 02:29 PM
Mr. Jackanory

These are in better nick than the ones on the ranges at Beckingham and Proteus in the 1980s. There were also three round the back of the camp at Beckingham that were taken away at some point aroun 1990.
Old 12-02-12, 03:54 PM

Default One Pig

Ideal Valentines Day gift for the missus... what insurance group is it?

Stephen.
Old 12-02-12, 03:55 PM

Sadly Matty, the ones at Proteus have all now been cleared away (the site is now part of a National Nature Reserve-flippin tree huggers).

But the ones on Beckingham training area are still there

Ivan
Old 12-02-12, 04:00 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I used to love the public when we were on Proteus training area. They either gave away your position/or that of the oppo or studiously ignored thirty sweaty, dusty, marching squaddies tramping past at break neck speed as if we didn't exist. I also remembering having to run across the whole width of the training area to report a fire, shows shows that modern communications units don't have a patch on the old word of mouth. I remember being sent off by my officer as I was a good runner. The rest of the section looking on in relief that they hadn't been 'dicked' in 70 degrees of Nottinghamshire summer. it was a good excuse to get all the fire extinguishers written off by the QM without awkward paperwork.
Old 12-02-12, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
I used to love the public when we were on Proteus training area. They either gave away your position/or that of the oppo or studiously ignored thirty sweaty, dusty, marching squaddies tramping past at break neck speed as if we didn't exist.
You don't see many people in green on that area these days, its all dog walkers and birdwatchers and those damm tree huggers.

And as for 70 degrees of Nottinghamshire heat, I was working on the Proteus area last week and it was minus 4 with 3 inches of snow!

Ivan
PS sorry Ken for hijacking your thread!
Old 12-02-12, 05:28 PM

hi ken,

they had one in belfast a while ago,dont know if they still have it or not,used for wedding partys,hen nights etc

philip
Old 12-02-12, 05:57 PM

Philip,
I heard that owner got government grants to assist him operate battlefield tours with it around West Belfast. His main problem was youths stoning it every time it would appear.
It was hired by movie companies who used it in films/TV programs set in the troubles.
Don't know if he still has it.
I can see from the photos the seating is still as comfortable as ever.
Eddie
Old 12-02-12, 06:23 PM

No thank you. Being REME the less I see of this 'Oink Oink' the better. It lived up to its name. That said, I suppose it has to be restored and preserved for future generations, but not by me.
Old 12-02-12, 06:32 PM

Glad you enjoyed it lads, and it brought back good memories of the past.

I just can't get over all the protective wire mesh, ........ except on the wing mirrors !!! lol

Everyday we went out with 2 fully functional mirrors,........ and came back with a brand new paint job, 1 servicable vision block, but !! less 2 fully functional mirrors, just 2 bolts where they used to be ??
Old 12-02-12, 07:00 PM

your wing mirrors were probably sold on ebay years ago, lol.
Old 12-02-12, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi ken,

they had one in belfast a while ago,dont know if they still have it or not,used for wedding partys,hen nights etc

philip
I used to see it around quite a bit, but not for a few years now. He had a Saracen briefly too. I think he is having more fun around Belfast in a pink fire engine complete with dancing pole in the back these days. I think partypiglets or similar was his website.

John
Old 12-02-12, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Glad you enjoyed it lads, and it brought back good memories of the past.

I just can't get over all the protective wire mesh, ........ except on the wing mirrors !!! lol

Everyday we went out with 2 fully functional mirrors,........ and came back with a brand new paint job, 1 servicable vision block, but !! less 2 fully functional mirrors, just 2 bolts where they used to be ??
Apparently going down Upper Whiterock Road in the ice was the ultimate test of a pig driver! Passengers probably deserved a bravery medal for that too!
Old 12-02-12, 09:35 PM

Pig was quite a complimentary name , having driven and worked on them I could think of lots more apt name. I first came across them in Cyprus about 1961 and it was hate at first sight.
Old 12-02-12, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faugh-A-Ballagh View Post
Apparently going down Upper Whiterock Road in the ice was the ultimate test of a pig driver! Passengers probably deserved a bravery medal for that too!
John, I spent a Tour at Fort Whiterock in Apr-Aug 1981 what a place, and that hill was a beast, coming down to New Barnsley police stn, and going back up !! But the estate was even worst, every night the prods in the Spring Martin Estate used to fire 2 LMG's or Brens into the Whiterock Estate, then the Catholic's, they'd let rip at us in the Fort
Sadly we lost a guy that year too Paul (Geordie) Bulman RIP old friend, just talking with some new one's. FBK