British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-08, 12:35 PM
peter616

Default Anodised Badges

After reading some of the threads on Anodised badges, it is time to put a few things in perspective. So what I have done is put a group of photos of badges back and front, showing the different names on the sliders and on the badges, also showing different varieties of badges made by different makers.
Hope this will help with collectors of anodised cap badges.

DORSET-NORTHAMPTONSHIRE REGT.jpg

DORSET-NORTHAMPTONSHIRE REGT (1).jpg
These four badges are all original two have makers names and two haven't, the two which haven't were picked up in the mid 70s

BLACK WATCH.jpg

BLACK WATCH (1).jpg
Two different Black Watch badges, both made by the same firm J.R Gaunts, one is pre 72 one is post 72

odd backs.jpg
These are three badges all original but with different type of fitting, the first one the Kilt badge (Inniskilling Fusiliers) for the Ulster Rifles made by R James, the second is the Royal Engineers made in two parts c1960s and the slider is fitted on by two rivets the slider is aluminium, and lastly the Queens regt has a brass slider riveted on post 1972.

NAMED SLIDERS (2).jpg

Here are three different badges with three various makers names.

Will put more on in the next few days.

Peter

Last edited by peter616; 08-06-08 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 10:15 PM

thanks peter
found this very interesting and look forward to seeing more
BC
Old 06-06-08, 11:20 PM

Default Middlesex a/a

Hi Peter,

I'm after a bit of info - regards middlesex a/a badges. I don't know if you can help ? Anodised badges are new territory for me

I don't generally collect a/a but I recently bought a Middlesex example for £4
at Farnham M F from a dealer who said they were quite a common badge.

I saw another couple of examples going for £20 & £30+ and this time I was told the badge was quite rare, (one did have a guant mark, not sure if this would make much difference).

Would you say this badge is relatively rare ? I must say I've not seen that many examples myself. I suppose it could reflect the fact a/a badges have become much more popular with collectors ?

Also do you know of any examples with particular makers marks or any variants - the badge I have is unmarked.

Regards

Will

I

Last edited by Diehard; 06-06-08 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Clarify badge
Old 07-06-08, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hi Peter,

I'm after a bit of info - regards middlesex a/a badges. I don't know if you can help ? Anodised badges are new territory for me

I don't generally collect a/a but I recently bought a Middlesex example for £4
at Farnham M F from a dealer who said they were quite a common badge.

I saw another couple of examples going for £20 & £30+ and this time I was told the badge was quite rare, (one did have a guant mark, not sure if this would make much difference).

Would you say this badge is relatively rare ? I must say I've not seen that many examples myself. I suppose it could reflect the fact a/a badges have become much more popular with collectors ?

Also do you know of any examples with particular makers marks or any variants - the badge I have is unmarked.

Regards

Will

I
£4 is a good price to get 1 for,i think £20 to £30 is a bit ott.Its not in the rarest group but its not the most common.
Mine has a blank slider,i think there maybe slight variations in different dies.
Old 07-06-08, 01:11 PM

Here are two of mine, aa Middlesex Regiment
1. Blank slide.
2. FIRMIN LONDON marked slide.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-06-08, 05:33 PM
peter616

Here are three more different badges with three various makers names.
NAMED SLIDERS (3).jpg
Old 08-06-08, 09:06 AM

Lots of good photos there to look at.

One of the tasks that I'm looking into is to identify all the makers of these badges with the maker marks identified and recorded via photographic record.

I'm looking to create a web page as such with a chapter on makers if we go to publication.

The early anodised versions appeared to have the slider rivited to the body via two rivits as already shown. A REME item on eBay finished a day or so ago like this.

My Army Physical Training Corp badge has a steel slider on an anodised body and named 'Firmin'.

Beware of those thin tin fakes with genuine anodised sliders that may or may not be maker marked.

Regards

Chris
Old 08-06-08, 04:13 PM

Default Rare Anodised Infantry badges

Thanks All,

the help is much appreciated. I was beginning to think mine might have been dodgy, (thought it was a bit strange there was such a price difference). But it looks like 54Bty first badge so I'm happy. The bloke who sold it to me did say he didn't like a/a badges and he was getting rid of a collection he'd just obtained. Should have bought a few more

I've limited myself to collecting infantry badges (no small feat in itself) & was thinking of starting to add the a/a versions to my collection.

I was quite surprised to see how much some of them go for now.

What are the rarest types & how much would you expect to pay ?

Thanks again

Will.
Old 08-06-08, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks All,

the help is much appreciated. I was beginning to think mine might have been dodgy, (thought it was a bit strange there was such a price difference). But it looks like 54Bty first badge so I'm happy. The bloke who sold it to me did say he didn't like a/a badges and he was getting rid of a collection he'd just obtained. Should have bought a few more

I've limited myself to collecting infantry badges (no small feat in itself) & was thinking of starting to add the a/a versions to my collection.

Thanks again

Will.
Diehard,i think your in for a bit of a shock.A W.Yorks went for around £400 on the last Bosleys postal auction.Somerset Light infantry and Dorsetshire are another 2 scarce badges.
Old 08-06-08, 09:10 PM

Mike,

that is quite disheartening to know Prices seem to be going crazy !

Will
Old 08-06-08, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Mike,

that is quite disheartening to know Prices seem to be going crazy !

Will
I was told it was 2 people who both wanted it really badly,but some of the other stuff they had on went ott too.RSF kc went for £400ish too
Old 08-06-08, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks All,

Thanks again

Will.
I have some very bad news for you Will.

If you were to obtain a set of the currently known Infantry anodised aluminium badges you would need over 4000 British Pounds to obtain them even if you could even find them

I have been collating the known sales prices of all anodised aluminium badges for some years now and granted I do only keep the highest price paid which will always give a skewed highest known value and of course, items will be picked up as bargains now and again.

However, we are finding new badges all the time and this 4000 pound amount should be viewed as a figure that will probably rise and remember, this figure is for the Infantry genre only.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-08, 03:26 PM

Badge collecting certainly isn't a cheap hobby
Old 09-06-08, 07:46 PM

I dread to think how much the rest would cost.Id lay a bet that there was some badges that only had 1 batch run off.I presume that most of the manufacturers production records would have been destroyed,so unless we find examples of the badge then we`d never know it existed.
Old 09-06-08, 08:03 PM

Default Old type sliders

Would you expect to pay more for the older types - the ones with metal riveted sliders?