British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-12-11, 10:53 PM

Default Old Contemptibles

Can anybody help, my father’s stepfather was one of the Old Contemptibles and I have been trying to find out something about his Army service, the problem I do not know his Army number or what regiment he was in.
There were some medals of his that I seen but that was many years ago, at the time I had no interest in family history, and over the years they have got lost within the families.
When my father died 19 years ago age 80, I found a photo in his possessions of a group of men with medals standing to attention, I had no idea why he had this photo or who they where but I kept the photo.
About eight years later my Aunty who is now coming up to 102 showed me some old photos and one of them was a photo of a group of men with medals, I asked her why she had the photo, and she told me her stepfather was one of them, this explained why my father had a similar photo, but she did not know where the photo was taken too.

When I showed her my photo she pointed out her stepfather, I later found out that the photos were taken outside the Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute Pembroke Terrace Cardiff. (That later changed its name to Churchill Way)

His name was Henry William Wicks born Cardiff 19 October 1883 died Llandough Hospital Cardiff 13 December 1948. (He was also known has Harry Weeks) I have his Birth and Death certificates
The three photos, one of Henry, in a uniform and two outside the
Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute, I have marked Henry with a X, can anybody suggest some idea how I can find out any information about his Army service, with the little information I have.
Cheers Pippin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry William Wicks x.jpg (56.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Henry William Wicks OLD CONTEMPTIBLES X 1.jpg (53.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Henry William Wicks OLD CONTEMPTIBLES XX.jpg (66.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 18-12-11, 03:09 PM

Unfortunatly, you are missing some KEY information to correctly identify your relative. Without his service number, it will be hit and miss at best.

MICs are held at the Archives, I did a seach on Henry Wicks, came back with 29 results.

Of this 29, I ruled out 17 entries (owing to either Herbert result or incorrect middle initial)

There was 1 entry for a Wicks, Henry William Cairns, a Captain with the Seaforth Highlands.

I found 8 entries for Wicks, Henry. of the 8, 1 was killed
I also found 3 entries for Wicks, Henry W.

So as you can see, I have at least 10 possibilities for your relative, and it may be quite possible he is none of these.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 18-12-11, 03:39 PM

Another possibility could be trying to trace a history of the club that he belonged to. I'm sure their records are held somewhere since they packed up. Local British Legion, library or public records office could be worth looking at.
The similar British medal forum might be helpful too in tracing his medals, but you would probably need a few more details.
Good luck with your quest. It can be done!

John
Old 18-12-11, 04:07 PM

Pylon 1357, thank you very much for doing a check for me, it is most appreciated,as you say I have very little details.
PIPPIN
Old 18-12-11, 04:13 PM

John, thank you for your reply and suggestions I will make some enquiries to see if the records of the club are held anywhere.
PIPPIN

Last edited by PIPPIN; 26-12-11 at 10:06 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 18-12-11, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPPIN View Post
Can anybody help, my father’s stepfather was one of the Old Contemptibles and I have been trying to find out something about his Army service, the problem I do not know his Army number or what regiment he was in.
There were some medals of his that I seen but that was many years ago, at the time I had no interest in family history, and over the years they have got lost within the families.
When my father died 19 years ago age 80, I found a photo in his possessions of a group of men with medals standing to attention, I had no idea why he had this photo or who they where but I kept the photo.
About eight years later my Aunty who is now coming up to 102 showed me some old photos and one of them was a photo of a group of men with medals, I asked her why she had the photo, and she told me her stepfather was one of them, this explained why my father had a similar photo, but she did not know where the photo was taken too.

When I showed her my photo she pointed out her stepfather, I later found out that the photos were taken outside the Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute Pembroke Terrace Cardiff. (That later changed its name to Churchill Way)

His name was Henry William Wicks born Cardiff 19 October 1883 died Llandough Hospital Cardiff 13 December 1948. (He was also known has Harry Weeks) I have his Birth and Death certificates
The three photos, one of Henry, in a uniform and two outside the
Old Contemptibles of Wales Club & Institute, I have marked Henry with a X, can anybody suggest some idea how I can find out any information about his Army service, with the little information I have.
Cheers Pippin
Looks like the same location and event in this post

Tim
Old 19-12-11, 11:42 PM

Tim, you are correct it is the same location but I think the photo was taken in a different year. thank you for the link, PIPPIN