British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-08, 03:54 AM

Default 9th Lancer Czapka circa 1853

Greetings to all the UK collectors. I thought I'd share one of my father's prize helmets. It is a Circa 1850's Lancers Czapka. This helmet is rare as it is an ORs issue. Officers helmets were cherished and expensive so they tended to be preserved. ORs helmets were worn until they fell apart and the were scrapped. I was also hoping that a UK collector could help me locate a missing piece to this great helmet.

This helmet has a Canadian connection in that the owner was eventually posted to Canada and ended up as the Regimental Adjutant to the 44th Lincoln Battalion of Infantry in the 1860s. My father collects only Canadian 19 and 44th Battalion insignia as these 2 regiments end up being the Lincoln and Welland Regiment in WW2. He comanded the regiment in the early 80's.

With the helmet came a 3-bar Indian Mutiny Medal for service in India and a 2-Bar Fenian Raids Medal for his service in Canada in 1866 and 1870. Dad also has his land grants, marriage certificate and a host of other documentation.

The help I need is in finding the correct era button to fit in the metal rosette. I have a great craftsman who can fit a screwpost to the button so all I need is a small standard button to the 9th Lancers circa 1850.

I took lots of photos so if anyone would additional pics please let me know.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lancer1.JPG (54.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg lancer2.JPG (88.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg lancer3.JPG (97.3 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg lancer4.JPG (83.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg lancer6.JPG (48.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 14-05-08, 01:31 PM

Greg... Great helmet with a great story... these are pieces that just enhance a collection ... a word of advice.... be nice to your dad... Jim
Old 20-05-08, 01:56 AM

Hey...anyone Still ,looking for a small button to the 9th lancers and even a few words from our British collectors re this helmet?

Greg
Old 20-05-08, 07:07 AM

Default 9th Lancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Hey...anyone Still ,looking for a small button to the 9th lancers and even a few words from our British collectors re this helmet?

Greg
Hi Greg,

Smashing item ! I have looked through my button collection Cav ! Iam afraid I only have one example of the button that your looking for . I will keep lookingfor you.

3748 Hussar
Old 20-05-08, 10:37 AM

Greg, Lovely looking Helmet, I do not own one but I do have 2 Lancer plates to the 9th Lancers one QVC Later than your one as mine has more Battle Honours & one KC.

Malc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg File1876.jpg (62.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg File1877.jpg (59.1 KB, 35 views)

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 20-05-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 20-05-08, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Please keep looking for a small button, it would complete the helmet and further enshrine it in "my" museum should me father feel he has to part with it.

Originally, Dad wanted to do a complete restoration of the helmet (it is in great shape already). In particular, Dad didn't like the crackled finish and was going to send it off to a buddy of mine who restores German WW1 helmets, to have it resurfaced. A British cavalry collector of mine screamed NOOOO!!!!!, remarking that the crinkled finish was the mark of an "old sweat - veteran trooper" and that such a helmet should not be made new. Calmer minds prevaled and the helmet now rests, unmolested....waiting for a tiny button

Cheers,

Greg
Old 14-12-10, 05:29 AM

Hi all, with Christmas coming I thought I'd resurrect this post in the hopes that I can source a Victorian 9th Lancers small button. My goal is find an example and present it to my father for Christmas.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 14-12-10, 11:02 PM

Hi Greg i only have a 18mm(approx) button with a qvc crown i think this might be too big

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 14-12-10, 11:32 PM

Hi Malc, I have no idea as to the size, I'm guessing it should be a epaulet size or chinstrap size

I have to read the button section to aquire the right terminology.

Greg
Old 15-12-10, 12:44 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Greg

A great helmet and photos, thank god you did not "restore" it.

It also appeals to this Aussie collector. I will have a look in my buttons and see if I have a small QV crown button that would suite the helmet and get back to you.

You and your dad are lucky men !!

Regards

Phil.
Old 15-12-10, 03:08 PM

Thanks Phil, any help would be much appreciated. BTW, I found a image of the button I'm looking for on the Regimentals website. It is a officers issue so I think I'm looking for a brass one rather than a gilt on.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9lancers2.jpg (48.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 15-12-10, 04:54 PM

Jus a thought , have you tried contacting the Regimental Museum, you never know your luck with plenty of pics of the helmet you may interest them enough to dig through their heaps of non-diplayed items.
Old 30-01-11, 03:28 AM

Smile

G'day Greg

Sorry for being so slow in getting back to you but l have now remembered to do it and have also done it so here goes.

I have two QVC 9th Lancers buttons, one in brass at about 22 mm and a gilt officers button at about 19 mm.

The brass button is by Firmin & Sons and the gilt one is by Jennens & Co London. Both have fixed loops on the back.

The suggestion to contact the 9th/12th Lancers is a good one, do a Google search and see how you go or if you would like either of these two send me a pm and we can see how we go.

Regards

Phil.
Old 04-08-11, 05:01 AM

Hi all, the restoration of my dad's lance cap is well underway. I was able to source the appropriate button from a forum member (THANKS!) and it is now being fitted to a screw post that will fit the boss of the helmet.

I now have another question for the forum, is there a regimental pattern cap lines for the 9th Lancers circa 1850s? If there is, what does it look like and are they available?

Regards,

Greg
Old 07-08-11, 09:03 AM

Smile

G'day Greg

Good to see this thread come to the top again. I will have a look in my books and see what l can find and will post again in a day or two.

Regards

Phil.

Tags
9th lancers, czapka, indian mutiny