British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-05-08, 05:34 PM

Default CEF bage conundrum

Living in the UK I am fortunate to visit the Great War battlefields most years. Over the past twenty or so visits I have walked many miles and been fortunate to find a dozen or so relic badges in the fields lying on the surface.

I have asked this q on the Great War Forum and had some replies but I will ask again as there seems to be a good CEF knowledge here.

At Courcellette on the Somme I have found an 81st Battalion badge and a small 10th Mounted Rifles badge. Both units were broken up in the UK and used as reinforcements.

My question
1. Did the replacement wear his old badge until sufficient supplies of his new battalions badges were ready, explaining the badges presence on the battlefield

or and I go with this theory

2. Was it a case of the soldier keeping his original badge in his pocket as a keepsake?

I am tempted to start collecting CEF badges myself but a lack of supplies in the UK deters me.

Regards

TRT
Old 02-05-08, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

When being transferred to another battalion, the CEF soldier would wear the badge of the new battalion. If no battalion specific badge was available, the general list maple leaf badge was worn. There may have been a short period of time before the soldier got to stores during which he would wear his original badges.
I think your second point is the case. I have had estate lots passed to me where all the soldiers badges were in a sewing kit or tobacco tin, etc. Soldiers who were draughted to new battalions kept thier original badges. In most cases the old battalion was reduced to nil strength or abosorbed by other reserve battalions, so there was no one and no where to turn in battalion kit.
Old 02-05-08, 06:30 PM

Thanks Bill

Appreciated

TRT
Old 02-05-08, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post
I am tempted to start collecting CEF badges myself but a lack of supplies in the UK deters me.

Regards

TRT
Hi TRT,

For what it's worth, I get quite a few CEF badges from the UK on e-bay (just watch out for certain sellers with never-ending stock of the same badges! It is definitely 'caveat emptor' on e-bay). Marlowe's, the UK militaria auction house, also has had some excellent lots of CEF badges and these can often be a great deal. I assume that alot of Canadian soldiers sold, gave away or otherwise left badges behind while based in the UK, hence the steady trickle of CEF badges coming from there...

Cheers, Ian.
Old 03-05-08, 04:33 PM
Banned

TRT it would not be odd to find the insignia of units not in the order of battle in France . The soldier never threw anything away he could not carry. The badges he soon found out where valuable trading material and could in fact procure a drought of wine at an estament from time to time and also it is known that work parties as required from the reserve battalions did go over when man power was low so for example an 81st badge could have found its way there that way.
To address your thoughts of starting a CEF collection get a charlton catolog and check out the prices of the following badges 9th , 248th, 252, 247th, and see if you still want to go for it. Maybe put together a collection of theunits that served in France would be do able and fit the pocket book. Then there is the problem of UK repros which is out of control to say the least and no place for the novice.

PAUL

Last edited by guest_000; 03-05-08 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 04:52 PM

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I knew about the value to a soldier trading his badges but I never put that idea forward to myself. Sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees as they say.

Re the collection I probably wont go for it. If I did it would be the four Divisions that served in France! I have had my fingers burned on a Canadian Artillery badge! I would only buy from reputable dealers but then I thought the one who sold me artillery one was. There are few UK dealers that do authentic Canadian badges.

My theme is UK war raised units and I seem to be ok there so far.

Any advice though is always welcome.

I do however have a tunic to a Canadian artilleryman who served in the 36th Overseas Battery. The collar dogs are present and have left there mark on the material so I know they are 100%. Also a nice brodie with a artillery badge affixed. From the second Div due to the red rectangles. The word Canadian above the wheel is actually a tablet fixed on. Is this normal. Again badge has been on helmet for 90 years.

Regards all

TRT