British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-11, 09:26 PM

Default Your favorite item

Is there any one item in your collection which is your favorite? Having seen a few collections on the forum I thought I'd share the oldest item in mine. It was given to me by my oldest uncle, a WWI vet, who saved it from a bar when it closed. This is what started me collecting military insignia which in turn led me to be bitten by the British cap badge bug which, in turn, has led me here.

This is a lithograph produced about 100 years ago and distributed as a promotion by a famous American brewer. The original was given to the 7th US cavalry but was lost when the officer's club at Ft.Bliss Texas burned to the ground. The battle, for those not familiar with western American history, occurred in June, 1876 in what is now the state of Montana. It is roughly comparable to the British battle of Isandlwana though the US casualties were fewer. Lt Col George Custer and his 7th US cavalry attacked a large camp of Sioux and other Indians. Custer and the force he led were wiped out. Several motion pictures have been made of this battle, none, unfortunately, as good as Zulu or Zulu Dawn, IMHO. I am aware of several paintings done of the Zulu campaign but am unaware if any of those were reproduced in the same manner as this one which I am sure at one time was hanging behind a bar.

Sorry about the quality of the photo. I could take some lessons from Dave2c.

If anyone would care to share their favorite item, I, for one, will appreciate it.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3010209.jpg (61.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-03-11, 10:21 PM

Default Hastings Rifle Volunteers helmet plate

Great picture, and story, Don! Thanks for showing it.

Here is my favourite item although it was a difficult decision to make.
The Hastings Rifle Volunteers existed between 1901 and 1911 when it became part of the 9th (Wellington East Coast Rifles) Regiment.
This particular badge was acquired originally by my father as a boy, from a First World War veteran, then swapped for a quantity of more common badges much to his regret later, but happily obtained many years later when the badge came on the market.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HastingsRV.jpg (59.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg HastingsRVrev.jpg (61.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-03-11, 12:29 AM

Default Nice Badge

Tinto,

I am again struck at how attractive many of the New Zealand badges are that I have seen on the forum. Maybe I have a thing for birds in general and kiwi's in particular but they do make for an appealing badge.

Thanks for sharing,

Don