British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-11, 07:18 PM

Default EBAY LINKS

Hi everyone. Can someone answer me why there is a habit of placing the link to an ebay listing and not just upload the pic. The reason I ask is as the link expires the thread becomes useless in research as it no longer shows. I just was looking for info on the 14th Kings Hussars to see if I could find info on fakes etc, and the first two threads had expired Ebay listings as examples.

Thanks
Old 17-02-11, 07:26 PM
Peter J

Hello Simon,

Perhaps becasue it is slightly quicker and easier to insert a link than it is to paste a picture.

It may also be that some members would rather not post images that may be the property of others.

Peter
Old 17-02-11, 07:29 PM

Maybe so, but you may as well delete those threads and save the space on the server. And I would have thought having a pic on Ebay had entered that picture into public domain. Either way makes the thread pointless in time.

Simon.
Old 17-02-11, 07:35 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Maybe so, but you may as well delete those threads and save the space on the server. And I would have thought having a pic on Ebay had entered that picture into public domain. Either way makes the thread pointless in time.

Simon.
You make a fair point, Si, but I am not sure that you necessarily relinquish ownership of an image simply because you post it on eBay; though let's not open up that can of worms here!

PJ
Old 17-02-11, 07:37 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Simon,

I think that it may be due to the fact that until an item is sold, that item belongs to the seller, showing the link, is I believe, no different to listing said item, plus the fact that most links are either to give people a ' heads up ' or take the ****, either way, once the item has sold, the link is of no use to anyone..............and probably the photo as well.......................I think ??

That's my take anyway, I must admit that I don't care a toss what people do with my listings but I would prefer people to face me and not go behind my back, like one member did some time ago........

Clear as mud ???

Dave.
Old 17-02-11, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Don't think there's much that can be done unfortunately. I know Alan O does spend lots of time weeding out the threads the become totally meaningless due to expired eBay links.

I'm sure eBay pictures don't enter the public domain, they remain the intellectual property of the photographer/vendor.

The odd dead link is just something we have to live with when we try to combine live discussions with an archive of the same!
Old 18-02-11, 04:33 AM
martin gregory

Talking

you are right longshanks, that does happen a lot, copy the picture then its up here for everyone but doh! e baysellers wont do it so we have to. or not.
Old 18-02-11, 01:49 PM

I agree Martin, what can they do. If we are showing their listing as as....well....sometimes fraudulent.....I can't imagine any comeback from them. As they say in Fleet Street "print and be damned". I'd prefer to have the duff one's to study many months or years later. I post images on here from Ebay to ask a question or two, and have been prevented from making a mistake or two.

Simon.