British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-11, 05:54 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default photo's

Hi folks,

Can anyone offer a small piece of advice to someone who has been photographing badges for years ? I have a nice shiny badge and I keep getting my own reflection.

Before you jump in Malc, with " use a scanner " !! mine won't scan 3D.......

Perhaps I do need your help after all Derrick ??? one point is that I cannot afford any fancy equipement..............................I'm a poor old pensioner remember ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cavalry Badges 050.jpg (68.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 17-02-11, 05:56 PM

Looking at my old digital camera, I have discovered a soft flash setting. Absolutely no expert. Lots of trial and error on my photos. But usually seem to blag it ok.

John
Old 17-02-11, 06:00 PM

I use a standard Cannon digital camera, with no flash. I have a spot light with a daylight bulb close up and use the auto telephoto setting that comes in if I have the camera close up for detail. I need to get another lamp to light the lower sections better, but works ok for now.

Simon.
Old 17-02-11, 06:01 PM
Peter J

Dave,

Set your camera up on a small tripod, set a time delay on your camera, then move out of the way.

Simple is best.

PJ
Old 17-02-11, 06:08 PM

Thanks lads,

John, I have a new Samsung and can't speak or read Japanese ??

Simon, I haven't a clue of what you're talking about...' daylight bulb ' I put the badge by the window ???

Peter, you're a darling, I do have a tripod, each time I set my camera on it, the bl**dy thing toples forward and as for using the timer, the last time I tried that, I nearly broke my neck trying to get in between my girls before it went off ?? oh, wouldn't there be a reflection of the camera still ???

Too late, it's gone dark

Dave.
Old 17-02-11, 06:14 PM

Me too, I have a few windows. The need for artificial light is that the definition with it close up is better than broad light from a window. The extra light makes for a faster shot, hence better detail. I agree with a tripod this isn't really necessary, but all mine were taken by hand.

Using a flash is not the right way as flash on standard cameras is more for larger area shots. The additional bonus with beefing up daylight is you can maneuver to increase shadow and define detail better.
I'm in the ad industry and this is how out our professional photographers do our in house shots etc. We would never shoot our stuff, solely with daylight.

Simon.
Old 17-02-11, 06:19 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
...wouldn't there be a reflection of the camera still ???.
Depends on the badge, of course, Dave, but this can be avoided by angling the badge or camera accordingly.

Failing this, cut a lens-sized hole in the centre of a piece of card or paper and place it over the front of the camera with the lens sticking through.

With the tripod, you can refrain from using a flash, of course.

Paul (Coldstream) is your man for this sort of thing... ever seen his albums? There's a man who knows how to photograph a badge.

Otherwise, take two two paracetamol every four hours until symptoms desist.

PJ
Old 17-02-11, 06:19 PM

Cheers Simon,

I guess I have some proper research to undertake, a little difficult with an interest span of a five year old and a memory like a goldfish !!!

I will take on board what you have said, whether I will understand it is another matter, I'm sure I will, first buy a ' daylight ' bulb, me thinks ??

Dave.
Old 17-02-11, 06:21 PM

Otherwise, take two two paracetamol every four hours until symptoms desist.

There you go Peter,

I knew you would come up with something I would understand.........Ah, I'm already on 8 a day because of my legs, that's a bind, innit ??

Dave.
Old 17-02-11, 07:29 PM

Hi Dave
The easy way is to rub the badge on a brick and get rid of the shiny bits
Old 17-02-11, 07:45 PM

Cheers Andy,

I never thought of that.

See photo of it before cleaning......

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arm Badges. 014.jpg (71.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 17-02-11, 08:30 PM

I like the brick idea, the only trouble is iv not got any badges to try it on, would someone like to send me a few so I can try it out.

Hi Dave, nice to see you back, umm , as for help iv only got one idea, (or is that two)

1) Get a big black card, make a whole in it to put the camera lens through and try that.
2) send it to someone you trust who has a 3D scanner. (I don't have one of them,sorry)

All the best.
Derrick
Old 17-02-11, 08:42 PM

Hi Derrick,

I should have realised, your expertise comes into play after the photo is taken, I would spend more time wrapping/unwrapping badges ( idea 2 ) to send and receive to/from someone I trust and the cost would of course, be horrific........

It looks like a toss up between a piece of card ( idea 1 ), and/or a ' daylight ' bulb ( Simon ), or both, a 3D scanner would be nice, I'll try and get Kath out to work again ?? OR............... I could stop listening to 'old soldiers ' who suggest a badge would look nice with a bit of Brasso rubbed on it ?????

Watch this space.

Dave.

PS, A quick point Simon, should I obtain a lamp and a daylight bulb, and be careful what you guys say !! where would I put the lamp, as in positioning it ?? come on behave yourselves...

Last edited by davec2; 17-02-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 17-02-11, 09:19 PM

Dave

As strange as it may seem you need an opaque plastic bowl. Cut a hole in the base sufficiently large to accept the lens. Place the object on the background, place the inverted bowl over the object and poke the lens through the hole in the top of the bowl......and click.

The trick is to diffuse the light equally .......and try to use natural light.

Cost will depend on borrowing a bowl from the kitchen or having to buy one

Here is a 'reflective' button........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64a.jpg (23.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 17-02-11, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawstonjohn View Post
Dave

As strange as it may seem you need an opaque plastic bowl. Cut a hole in the base sufficiently large to accept the lens. Place the object on the background, place the inverted bowl over the object and poke the lens through the hole in the top of the bowl......and click.

Cost will depend on borrowing a bowl from the kitchen or having to buy one

Here is a 'reflective' button........
all I can say is "Brilliant".