British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-04-08, 07:48 PM

Default 219th battalion

I thought I would continue with some more Nova Scotia badges today feature is the 219th Battalion.

The officers version like all of the Highland Brigade is a three peice badge and can be composed of either brass and copper or both with a white metal overlay. The first badge is is constructed of white metal on brass on copper and is marked on the back with a IIII on the back (see my post on Highland Brigade Badge construction) The second badge appears to be white metal on blackened brass on blackened brass and is marked XIIII on the back. The last badge is the one I used in the Highland Brigade construction post it is white metal on brass on brass and is marked the same as the previous XIIII. I have come accross two types of collars so far one is three peice construction and is white metal on copper on copper. The second is two peice construction being white metal on brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00544.JPG (64.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00545.JPG (58.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00547.JPG (61.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00551.JPG (37.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00549.JPG (33.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 15-04-08, 07:55 PM

The next badge is what is refered to as a Sgt's badge it is of two peice construction this example being white metal on brass. I have only seen one period reference on these badges from the 85th battalion daily orders from June 1918 whick describes the badge for Sgt's being of this type. I am uncertain if they wore two peice collars or standard O.R. collars. Maple leaf collars do exist for this battalion in both officers and other ranks versions I sadly do not have a example of either in my collection as of yet.

I will post the O.R.s insignia when I get them dug out.

enjoy
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00548.JPG (61.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 15-04-08, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Stephen, Again excellent display.
Have you researched the collars to find out why there were both a scroll type pattern and the maple leaf pattern? I am correct in my understanding that the maple leaf collars are much scarcer for all the Highland Brigade battalions?
Old 16-04-08, 01:56 AM

Bill

I have seen the maple leaf version for the 219th for the O.R.s and have been told by a long time former collector of Highland Brigade insigina said at one point he owned officers versions of the all the collars badges and feathers. I only have two type of maple leaf officer collars the 85th and the 193rd both are two peice. One maple leaf collar I did get with a group of medals and badges is a 185th O.R.'s version, the odd thing is the man who owned it was a officer and was supprised he was using this collar or prehaps it was just a sweetheart. These collars I personally never seen them in use in period photos, my Highland Brigade photo collection is lacking compared to the 25th battalion, but have been told of pictures of them being worn and do consider them unofficial which is likely why they are more scarse.

Stephen
Old 11-05-08, 04:55 PM

The 219th Battalion badges and collars appear to be made in both brass and copper. The badges and collars all seem to be the same stamping as other then the base metal I have not seen any varations. The shoulders appear to be made from copper and my examples are marked "Birks 1916".

I am picturing the badges below first in brass and then copper.

Enjoy
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00721.JPG (37.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00722.JPG (35.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00723.JPG (35.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-05-08, 04:59 PM

Here are the collars and numerals again brass collar then copper the copper collar is pictured on the top when veiwing the back.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00724.JPG (28.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00725.JPG (26.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00726.JPG (31.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00727.JPG (22.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00728.JPG (24.5 KB, 7 views)